RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
StanHD

Add-In seems to have broken something?

StanHD

I am having problems since installing an update to one of my WHS 2011 add-ins.

I first noticed that the dashboard would not load. Then when logged in via remote desktop, all the icons had gone missing, plus when trying to add them back, the function to "send to" from all programs is blank.

Checking services also reveals that the "Windows Server Media Streaming and Homegroup Service" will not start.

This all manifests as certain missing folders and no media available when remote accessing.

I uninstalled Serviio and Lights out add-ins. This got the Dashboard working again, but that's it. The only other add-ins I have running are Keepvault and Awieco Drive Info, neither of which have given any problems or been recently updated.

So I am guessing I need to re-install WHS 2011. I tried a repair from the install disk, but this would only work with the last backup image which although successful, was only 24 hours old therefore carried the errors with it.

Should I do a complete clean install?

My setup:- WHS 2011 OS Drive with C&D partitions. (No data on D:)

Rocket RAID card with 3 drives in RAID 5. (Allocated as F: this is all data in shares)

Drive designated as G: for Keepvault local backup of certain shares.

Backup Drive registered as "Backup1" used for Server Backup.

No USB or external drives.

If I do a clean install, do I need to remove all of the other drives? Is there a better way to fix this?

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks.

ikon

Dang, my first thought was "go back to your last server backup". So are you saying that the repair option won't work with older server backups, or that you only have the one backup?

StanHD

Dang, my first thought was "go back to your last server backup". So are you saying that the repair option won't work with older server backups, or that you only have the one backup?

I have backups in accordance with the WHS default. So pretty much every day back to 5th Dec 2011, well before the problem. But the repair option only offers the "latest". Perhaps I'm approaching this incorrectly ?

jmwills

That's why I always like to create a vhd image from the first working setup. I'm afraid your only option is to reinstall.

pcdoc

I am having problems since installing an update to one of my WHS 2011 add-ins.

I first noticed that the dashboard would not load. Then when logged in via remote desktop, all the icons had gone missing, plus when trying to add them back, the function to "send to" from all programs is blank.

Checking services also reveals that the "Windows Server Media Streaming and Homegroup Service" will not start.

This all manifests as certain missing folders and no media available when remote accessing.

I uninstalled Serviio and Lights out add-ins. This got the Dashboard working again, but that's it. The only other add-ins I have running are Keepvault and Awieco Drive Info, neither of which have given any problems or been recently updated.

So I am guessing I need to re-install WHS 2011. I tried a repair from the install disk, but this would only work with the last backup image which although successful, was only 24 hours old therefore carried the errors with it.

Should I do a complete clean install?

My setup:- WHS 2011 OS Drive with C&D partitions. (No data on D:)

Rocket RAID card with 3 drives in RAID 5. (Allocated as F: this is all data in shares)

Drive designated as G: for Keepvault local backup of certain shares.

Backup Drive registered as "Backup1" used for Server Backup.

No USB or external drives.

If I do a clean install, do I need to remove all of the other drives? Is there a better way to fix this?

Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks.

I have done a clean install a couple of times during the initial release and did not have any problems. Because of your raid card, all you have to do is do the install, reload the drivers and your volumes will come back. Then just re-create your shares, point to the existing folders and you are done. Took me about 40 minutes to fully recover with install, 8 users, and 20+ shares.

StanHD

I have done a clean install a couple of times during the initial release and did not have any problems. Because of your raid card, all you have to do is do the install, reload the drivers and your volumes will come back. Then just re-create your shares, point to the existing folders and you are done. Took me about 40 minutes to fully recover with install, 8 users, and 20+ shares.

Ok thank you, so no need to disconnect the backup drives?

ikon

I have backups in accordance with the WHS default. So pretty much every day back to 5th Dec 2011, well before the problem. But the repair option only offers the "latest". Perhaps I'm approaching this incorrectly ?

Well, that for sure sux :( WTH is the point of previous backups in that case? Hello, MS?

StanHD

Well, that for sure sux :( WTH is the point of previous backups in that case? Hello, MS?

I agree, and further research indicates that others have also experienced the problem. PC Doc's suggestion elsewhere within this forum utilising Acronis True Image may be a better way to go in future.

StanHD

Update:-

Well I shut down and pulled the OS drive, and also the 2 back-up drives.

I left the RAID drives in place.

I put a spare / fresh drive for the OS in, booted with the WHS 2011 DVD and carried out a fresh installation. This completed fine (after I interrupted to install all the Gigabyte MB, NIC drivers and utilities).

As per PC Doc's advice that left me with a fresh and shiny installation:- C: = OS, D: = Serverfolders (Empty)

Next, installed the RAID Card drivers and drive F: appeared with all my shares and data.

Using the Dashboard, re-assigned the shares as required, all good.

Added Users & PC's etc.

Shut down and re-installed the backup drives. (one is for server, the other for Keepvault local backup)

Using the Dashboard, allocated the server backup drive.

Installed the Keepvault WHS add-in. (This is the only problem now, apparently when installed the add-in is supposed to ask whether I want to re-connect to an existing on-line backup set. This did not happen so I have raised a ticket with Keepvault and await their response.)

So that's about it really. Once I have the Keepvault problem ironed out all will be good. Apart from the fact that I need to research a more effective OS / bare metal backup system.

ikon

I need to research a more effective OS / bare metal backup system.

Just wanted to mention that something like CloneZilla can be a viable option for OS drive backup. How viable it is depends on your situation of course, but if you don't mind rebooting you server into CloneZilla and letting it dupe your OS drive to a spare drive, then you can have an exact copy of the OS drive that you can restore in just a few minutes. In fact, you can just swap in the spare drive and make it the OS drive and prep a new 'backup' drive.