RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

gigabyte sata cables?

scottbakertemp

I'm planning on purchasing a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Board with 2 6Gbps SATA ports and 4 6Gbps SATA ports to use with a OCZ vertex 3 SSD. It comes with 4 SATA cables of some sort.

Anyone know if they are SATA 6Gbps cables? Are the reliability of the cables worth using? Should I buy another brand of SATA cables?

That is a great question. You'd think that they might include 6Gbps cables? Actually I had never thought about needing cables if purchasing 6Gbps drives. On Amazon's tech details is this bit of information. Storage Interface: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors , 4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors ,Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1. I would be curious to know if you get one 6Gbps and two 3Gbps cables or more. None of the other reviews I read stated cable quantity.

I'm planning on purchasing a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Board with 2 6Gbps SATA ports and 4 6Gbps SATA ports to use with a OCZ vertex 3 SSD. It comes with 4 SATA cables of some sort.

Anyone know if they are SATA 6Gbps cables? Are the reliability of the cables worth using? Should I buy another brand of SATA cables?

The 2 builds I did recently with the GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 the included Gigabyte SATA cables were labeled SATA 2/3 and I didn't observe any performance issues. Check my writeups in the HTPC build section.

The 2 builds I did recently with the GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 the included Gigabyte SATA cables were labeled SATA 2/3 and I didn't observe any performance issues. Check my writeups in the HTPC build section.

Too bad they didn't label them II/III so it would be clearer that they're SATA II and/or SATA III.

Too bad they didn't label them II/III so it would be clearer that they're SATA II and/or SATA III.

I thnk they made it pretty clear.

I thnk they made it pretty clear.

I just prefer when people use the official designations; the 3 could mean SATA III, or 3Gb/sec. but the reverse is not true. Not a big deal, but it's just a bit simpler.

They do not really state what they are rated at but I would plunk down a couple of bucks as jmwill stated and pick up some cables tested at that speed especially with that drive as it will use it.

I can't find the article but I am pretty sure it stated the cables are exactly the same. The controller is what was changed. If I find it I will post it.