RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do you need a utility to monitor an IP and tell you when it's changed

ikon

Have you ever been in a situation where you have a computer that you need to remote into but the ISP randomly changes its IP?

There are several ways to get around this problem.

You can register a domain name for the remote computer, then set up a dynamic DNS service for it. When the remote computer's IP changes, a small utility you install on the remote computer will sense that change and update the DDNS hosts information so that the domain name will point to the new address.

This is a great solution, but it does take a bit of work and costs a bit of money. It also takes some time because the DNS information has to propagate across the internet. I also feel it's a bit of overkill for a temporary installation.

You can also get a static IP from the ISP (if they are willing), but that costs something too, and it may take longer than you have.

I recently found myself in this exact situation. The ISP was supposed to provide a static IP but failed to do so. It's been 6 days and it hasn't been rectified yet. Most likely it won't be fixed until at least Monday. That will make it 8 days or more - too long. So I wrote a small utility that monitors the WAN IP and, if it detects a change, it sends an email containing the new address to my mail server.

If you have a use for such a thing, just reply and let me know. It's free to anyone who wants.

ps. I'll provide it 'as is'; no support comes with it.

I'm interested because I am tired of ahving to rdp into my computers via the ip address. I want to go back to using the host name.

I'm interested because I am tired of ahving to rdp into my computers via the ip address. I want to go back to using the host name.

Ah. For that, you need to register a domain and use DDNS. I can describe it further if you like as I'm using it myself.

Please do.

Why would I have to do that when it was working before?

I reread your post and need to ask another question: are you RDPing into computers on your local LAN or from the internet?

modify the host file on the local machine to include the IP address of the clients and then add a reservation to the router. Surprised that the local router is not handling DNS for you, it should.

local LAN

ah. My utility is for the WAN IP. It sounds like you're having a local LAN DNS issue. I would research about resolving computer names on a LAN. As a start, I found this in one forum:

Try restarting the router - if it is a cheap/standard one, it could be that it only adds DNS entries for machines that it is providing leases to. Your machine is seeing an old/cached entry.

Alternatively, whilst I would not usually recommend for servers, you may want to enable dhcp - but put a reservation on its mac address in to your router.

• 4 weeks later...

modify the host file on the local machine to include the IP address of the clients and then add a reservation to the router. Surprised that the local router is not handling DNS for you, it should.

I do have reservations set in the router. HOw do I find the host file? I have never done this.

Google it....simple enough to do, just make a copy of it before you get started. The host list, in short, remembers DNS entries the router does not know.