RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What do you think about this?

litow14

You could build one for less, but that's the price for getting a ready-to-go unit. The 3 year warranty is a plus. If the company is truly reliable then they should stand behind their product. Be aware though, it's not really 12TB - it's 6x2TB drives in RAID5.

I'd want to know the make and model of the hard drives, PSU, and case.

Usable storage would be 10TB then. I would agree with the above though, seems a bit pricey to me.

Usable storage would be 10TB then. I would agree with the above though, seems a bit pricey to me.

Close to 9TB of real storage after formatting overhead, etc., which the company spells out clearly in the table in the bottom half of the page. I count that as a point in their favour for not sugar-coating it.

Close to 9TB of real storage after formatting overhead, etc., which the company spells out clearly in the table in the bottom half of the page. I count that as a point in their favour for not sugar-coating it.

Point taken, after I saw the price and the reply about 12GB being 6 x 2GB in a RAID 5, I was pretty much done with the sale. However, you bring up a great point that at least they put usable storage as a point in their favour. With that said, I don't have a need for 12GB at this time, so my point would be moot. If it was going to be me dropping that kind of cash, I would build my own. That much data would mean that it would be all on my plate to come up with the best solution. In my opinion, if someone were to have that much need for space, then they might be more of an enthusiast and would enjoy building their own system. Again, just my opinion from experience.

My opinion is you are better off building your own. They are using fairly low end components for the CPU and especially the case. As CSKenny mentioned, it is unknown what they are using for a PS which is critical. Most importantly, they are not using a RAID controller and are using the motherboard which is at best painful. Even if you can not do it yourself for less money and end up spending the same, you will end up with better components.

Can you email them and ask directly about those things I mentioned? PSU, Case, and HDDs

Depending on the quality, you might be looking at a decent value, especially if the warranty is worth anything. True, the CPU is not a beast, but it sure beats the heck out the one in the HP Proliant MicroServers that have been on sale a lot over the last few months. The processor here is about 2 - 3 times more powerful.