RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any deals out there for the dual tuner hdhomerun?

eobie

I am waiting for the cablecard version.

Anyone know if satellite providers have cable cards? I am contemplating switching to satellite because Comcast sucks.

They don't. They use a proprietary system. They aren't bound by the FCC's ruling that CableCompanies have to use CableCard. Neither is AT&T U-verse. FIOS is because of some minor loophole that they are delivering via a coax cable somewhere in the chain (I'm not sure about the actual specifics of that).

There was a rumor that Dish Network was releasing tuners for MCE, search the green button for "Draco"...but nothing came from it. As AJ said, they wouldn't be CableCard based, but a box that connects to your PC either via USB or the network. Dish showed off the tuner last year, but said it was only for research and testing. Doesn't look like it's going to be released. DirecTV supposedly had the same thing a few years ago, and it got scrapped too... I would rather have the satellite as Dish has the lowest prices where I'm at, but there are a lot of things MCE related that I would like to have that never materialize.

Dish also has the HD-only package, which no one else has. That's what I'd get.

I will say that I saw the Dish tuner at CEDIA last year. It worked just like it should. The content provider should be transparent to the user in the ideal scenario, which they were in this case. I mean, ideally, switching from Cable to Satellite should just be a matter of hooking up the equipment, but then having it all run through the Media Center UI, with no difference in experience beyond a mildly different selection of channels.
</soapbox>