RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Window Server 8

Dude

Been tossing up whether to migrate off WHS V1 to WHS 2011, so was interested to hear about the update to Windows Server 8 and it being a replacement / alternative for WHS V2.

Maybe its time to set up a separate forum for all things Server 8.

One of the frustrations I have is streaming HD video from my V1 box to my Lounge TV, sometimes it works flawlessly at other times it stutters, the only thng I can put it down to is the WHS doing some disk activity to maintain the storage pools.

If Server 8 enables flawless streaming of MtS files then I'm jumping on the Beta wagon.

I would have to say you are right when it comes to WHS V1 issues.

as for WHS 2011, i see this platform working for many years without a problem.

as for server 8 , i would say the jury is out till we get the RTM. but from what i see looks promising

I too am looking forward to Win 8 Server. We'll be using it at work, I'm sure, and will begin our hardening processes when RTM is out there.

One of the frustrations I have is streaming HD video from my V1 box to my Lounge TV, sometimes it works flawlessly at other times it stutters, the only thng I can put it down to is the WHS doing some disk activity to maintain the storage pools.

Yup, an old issue with v1. Usually it's because of DeMigrator running in the background. Many of us created batch files and scheduled tasks to shut down DeMigrator during the hours when we're likely to be streaming and restarting it for the off-hours, so it could do its job.

I too am looking forward to Win 8 Server. We'll be using it at work, I'm sure, and will begin our hardening processes when RTM is out there.

I cant wait to hear how it proforms on your new server :)

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a great deal of time 'playing' with Storage Spaces.

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a great deal of time 'playing' with Storage Spaces.

Same all over. Sheesh.

The Microserver came in, and I had a few moments to tear it apart. At first glance, I certainly like the interior and I'm used to HP servers/blades, so the insides are familiar. I thought I had read in a review that I would need the power converter for a DVD drive, and they were correct. It doesn't anger me, I just had hoped differently.

YOu might try setting up a raid array outside the pool on your v1 server and see if that eliminates the problem. It should given DE would not be running on it.

When Server 8 comes out I will be playing with it non-stop. I am really excited to see it.

YOu might try setting up a raid array outside the pool on your v1 server and see if that eliminates the problem. It should given DE would not be running on it.

When Server 8 comes out I will be playing with it non-stop. I am really excited to see it.

How do I set up a raid array outside the pool in V1, I didn't realise you could have drives that were not part of the pool.

No drive has to be part of the pool. A RAID array would work best as external (Drobo, ioSafe, etc) and then presented to V1 just like any other storage device. just don't add the array to the pool.