RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore Client From WHS 2011 Experience

Krankycheese

Krankycheese

I just wanted to post this to describe my first ever client restore and some of the "pains" that I had.

Late last week, I had to perform a client restore for my HTPC because the Intel 320 drive decided to go from 80 GB to 8MB. After I ran the SSD Toolbox to secure wipe the drive to bring it back up, I was ready to setup the restore.

Setting up the USB flash drive was easy to setup from the WHS 2011 and booting my HTPC with it was really easy to do. The menus were easy to navigate and relatively straightforward to follow. I wish that the the network drivers were loaded onto the restore USB drive. I was going through the menus of the restore wizard, recreated my partitions and setup the restore for the C drive and the system managed drive. The restore succeeed, but when I rebooted, the HTPC rebooted to a black screen. Unsure of what happened, I tried it again. Let's just say that I went through this a couple more times. I decided with the next attempt to run Win 7 install and then rerun the client restore. This approached worked. My guess is that the partition was not getting setup as bootable, but I am not sure why the restore would not have done that. It was a little frustrating especially since this was my first time where I needed to run the client restore. On the other hand, I am damn glad to have the backup. It beats reinstalling Windows and then reconfiguring media center to get my cable tv and record again.

I've seen enough posts now about pains with restoring from WHS2011 that I'm going to test on my wife's computer, using a spare drive, just to be sure it works for me.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I used to know how to install W7 without the 100 MB partition. Next time I install from scratch I am going to have to find how to do it again.

Update: the restore of my wife's backup to a spare drive (same make & model) went very well. The only anomaly I saw was that the small grey popup that shows the green checkmarks of items being tested and passed stayed on top, and partially hid, some of the later windows. I was a little uncertain if the restore was continuing to run or not, but it was and it was successful.

The drive I restored is now sitting on top of my wife's computer, just sitting there as a 'hot spare' :)

Next on the list? Try restoring to larger and smaller drives.

I just wanted to post this to describe my first ever client restore and some of the "pains" that I had.

Late last week, I had to perform a client restore for my HTPC because the Intel 320 drive decided to go from 80 GB to 8MB. After I ran the SSD Toolbox to secure wipe the drive to bring it back up, I was ready to setup the restore.

Setting up the USB flash drive was easy to setup from the WHS 2011 and booting my HTPC with it was really easy to do. The menus were easy to navigate and relatively straightforward to follow. I wish that the the network drivers were loaded onto the restore USB drive. I was going through the menus of the restore wizard, recreated my partitions and setup the restore for the C drive and the system managed drive. The restore succeeed, but when I rebooted, the HTPC rebooted to a black screen. Unsure of what happened, I tried it again. Let's just say that I went through this a couple more times. I decided with the next attempt to run Win 7 install and then rerun the client restore. This approached worked. My guess is that the partition was not getting setup as bootable, but I am not sure why the restore would not have done that. It was a little frustrating especially since this was my first time where I needed to run the client restore. On the other hand, I am damn glad to have the backup. It beats reinstalling Windows and then reconfiguring media center to get my cable tv and record again.

You may know this already but your Intel drive did that due to a firmware bug. Make sure you update your firmware.

Krankycheese

Yes, I knew about it. According to the Intel SSD toolbox, the firmware was up to date and I just googled now to make sure. Not sure why the error occurred. Just to sure, I added a UPS to the computer to make sure it was not power fluxuation related.

Yes, I knew about it. According to the Intel SSD toolbox, the firmware was up to date and I just googled now to make sure. Not sure why the error occurred. Just to sure, I added a UPS to the computer to make sure it was not power fluxuation related.

Not sure it will make any difference re: your SSD, but good move adding the UPS. I have UPSs on all my computers and also on my entertainment system. Just yesterday someone hit a hydro pole and killed the power to my house and a bunch of my neighbours. All the equipment sailed thru the outage with flying colours. :)