RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 - First Time Client Backup - Taking Too Long?

samiam79

Hey Everyone,

I ran the client backup through WHS 2011 last night for the first time. The process was scheduled to begin between 12:00am-6:00am. I also set the Server Backup to begin at 7:00am (assuming that the client backup would complete by 6am).

The client PC is running Windows 7. It is setup on a Wireless-N connection, with fairly decent throughput. As of 7:00am this morning, the client backup was only at 39%. I checked the logs and it looks like it did in fact start the process right around 12:00am. In total, there is about 150GB of data on the Cleint PC.

Is it normal for it to take this long to complete the backup? Considernig that its the first backup, should it take lesser time with each incremental backup?

I've also seen a few posts about "unreliability" with restoring from WHS 2011; some posts talking about using Acronos instead. I'm open to any feedback.

Thanks

With this being the first backup and you are running over wireless, it could take awhile. I would suggest doing the initial backup over a wired connection.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yep, its the first backup over wireless. As of 7am EST this morning, it was at ~39%. Hoping when I get home later this afternoon that it should be done. As for future backups, should I expect the backup time to be less? Also, any issues with running the server backup simutaneously with the client back ups?

Subsequent backups are incrementals but I would also mark this initial backup as "Keep Always" whihc means it will not get overwritten in the next full set of full backups.

Select that first backup when it finishes, and go to properties (forgot the sequencing) but there is a dropdown to change that setting. This will prevent it from being overwritten.