RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First WHS2011 Build

natharas

Hey, this is going to be a big post apologies will try and keep it as short as possible. The system that i have is as follows:

The System

AMD Athlon 64 - 3.0ghz CPU "top of my head"

ASUS Mobo - Post full spec later

4gb DDR2 Ram

650w Antec PSU

Lian Li PC60 Case

nVidia 8600GT PCI-E

1 x 320gb OS drive

2 x 1TB Videos Looking to RAID1

The Plan

RAID

The reason I'm going RAID1 is because I want some redundancy. The drives wont be access all the time. They will be storing old home movies, pictures and will be getting updated along the way.

I was looking to go Software RAID, I was looking at Linux and saw some solutions that give the option to report the SMART errors and also if a drive fails it reports which one. Not looking for hardware as it is only a simple RAID setup so to speak.

Virtualisation

I will be setting up a virtual box on the server, the purpose of this will be to run my TV that the server will be connected to. This is because I want to play media from the server and didn't want to do it directly from the server.

Media Server

I have a PS3 in the home so will be installing the PS3 plugin onto my server. I will also be installing XBMC, this will be used to play files on my TV. In saying this, I have another 2x2TB drives in my Gaming pc that contain all my "Blurays, DVD's, music at present I'm uncertain where this will end up. The drives are not in RAID as I see the only way to do RAID would be RAID5 and that is going to be to expensive with the data continually growing, although I'm open to suggestions.

Backups

I will be doing backups of all my Windows computers using the solution provided by WHS2011. These will also be stored on the RAID1 array, it will include my Server build as well if it is possible.

Plugins

Is there any other plugins I should be using that you would deem as "must haves"?

I think that is everything for the time being.

For starters, you will want to build your VM first then put WHS on top as opposed to the other way around. Also you do not have much RAM for a VM so I would suggest at least 8 Gigs. Lastly, are you just looking to experiment? The CPU you are using uses quite a bit of power and relatively low performance. You might want to reconsider if you have options. You are trying to do allot with one box.

For starters, you will want to build your VM first then put WHS on top as opposed to the other way around. Also you do not have much RAM for a VM so I would suggest at least 8 Gigs. Lastly, are you just looking to experiment? The CPU you are using uses quite a bit of power and relatively low performance. You might want to reconsider if you have options. You are trying to do allot with one box.

Hey, thanks for the reply so your recommending W7 as the main OS then running a VM WHS2011? Any specific reason for that, as I thought it would be better to go the other way. In regards to RAM, it wouldn't be terribly hard or expensive to pick up some DDR2 second hand. CPU wise I would really like to stick with what I have I can overclock it if need be. The CPU did fine running W7 and a W2K8 server I had for some testing I was doing.

I'm more than open to other solutions though, wouldn't really want to change to much hardware wise as it is what I have already sort of thing and saving to go overseas.

Hey, thanks for the reply so your recommending W7 as the main OS then running a VM WHS2011? Any specific reason for that, as I thought it would be better to go the other way. In regards to RAM, it wouldn't be terribly hard or expensive to pick up some DDR2 second hand. CPU wise I would really like to stick with what I have I can overclock it if need be. The CPU did fine running W7 and a W2K8 server I had for some testing I was doing.

I'm more than open to other solutions though, wouldn't really want to change to much hardware wise as it is what I have already sort of thing and saving to go overseas.

The main reason is built in support. Server 2008R2 has Hyper V or you can go the ESXI bare metal either way they have to be the base OS. If all you want to do is test, you use something like Virtual Box on WHS 2011. Most heavy weight VM OS's require that they be first.

The main reason is built in support. Server 2008R2 has Hyper V or you can go the ESXI bare metal either way they have to be the base OS. If all you want to do is test, you use something like Virtual Box on WHS 2011. Most heavy weight VM OS's require that they be first.

Cheers, yeah I will be running Virtual Box I have used it before and like the ease of it and it just works. I'm almost ready to start transferring my 2TB drives into the server now, just copying some data off them first. Then they will just go in and wont be raided.

Whats your suggestions on add-in etc or should I just start reading around the forum? I wish there was an australian forum like this but there isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an application to RDP to the server and start a movie close the RDP session then have it on the TV? Or should I be using a KVM as I got rid of my MCE Remote a few years ago.

Edited by natharas