RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

More Interesting MicroServer Links

Joe_Miner

Not sure this topic is for hardware only links but I just installed XPEnology on my N40L succesfully. It basically makes a bad ass Synology system. It's the first system I installed on my lab machine. Hosted on ESXi 5.1. Works great so far. I followed the advice given in this topic: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=558

Thanks Hans!

ikon

Interesting. I've never heard of XPEnology. Thanks for posting about it.

Joe_Miner

Links have been added/updated on the 1st page.

Joe_Miner

Updated to show link to RacerX find of the New AMD driver for Port Multiplier

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Taztaztic
      By Taztaztic
      Hi all,

I am new to the server world (please be gentle) and I desperately need some help!

I recently acquired a HP MicroServer Gen8. Bays 1 & 2 have 1TB SSD each and I believe they are setup in a RAID 1 config (not sure how to check) and have windows server 2012 installed.

Bays 3 & 4 are empty and I recently purchased a 4TB WD Blue Hard Drive and managed to install windows 10 onto it via a separate computer.

I've now inserted the 4TB Hard drive into bay 3 and want windows 10 to load up, but its not doing that....it keeps loading up windows server 2012 thats in bays 1/2 hard drives.

How can I choose which bay to boot windows from? I like it to boot from Bay 3 most of the time that has windows 10.

In normal computers, it was simple to organise the boot order via BIOS, but with the Gen8 its seems very complex with HP's own BIOS...etc and it's starting to give me a headache!

Any help from anyone will be really appreciated!

A simple easy to follow instructions will suffice.

• MoonGlum
      By MoonGlum
      Hi All,
      I have built a WHS 2011 server.  All was well except my Win 10 PC would not back up to it.  Installing the KB281721 hotfix was done on the server and part of the process was to reinstall the connector on the PC.  I uninstalled from control panel.  I then had a ton of problems connecting to WHS 2011 connect webpage.  This turned out to be being blocked by the server windows firewall, which started working ok when I disabled the private firewall.
      Now the connector web page comes up and initiates the install.  Connect a computer wizard starts up and asks me for the server name or IP.
      Neither work.  Whether I enter the server name or the IP it says the server could not be located.
      If I open the remote access web page from any device inside or outside LAN, I can connect to the server and carry out all you would expect.  I can connect via RDP, I can ping the LAN IP, I can ping the FQDN and WAN IP.
      The server is showing in Network and all shares are browse-able.
      I installed the find my server wizard and that failed to find it even using the command line switch with the <servername>
      So how do I get the server connector up and running.
      I have added theses ports to the router
      3389  disabled at the moment until I can secure it better
      I found 3 copies of windows home server in the listed devices and have removed all of them.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.  Hoping some experienced WHS 2011 server people know what to do next.......

KR

• E3000
      By E3000
      Hello all,

A few questions for those who use Type-1 Hypervisors on their Gen8 MicroServers...

I am looking to try ESXi or ProxMox and have been reading a lot of the threads on here.
      Hopefully you guys can help with some harder to find answers I have been seeking.

1) Which would be the better way to setup ProxMox:
           a) Hypervisor on Internal MicroSD, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           b) Hypervisor on Internal USB, VMs installed on SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           c) Hypervisor and VMs both installed on same SSD (partitioned?) in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.
           d) Hypervisor on SSD using a USB-to-SATA cable on Internal USB, VMs installed on separate SSD in ODD Port, Data on 4x HDDs in bays.

2) Would a 128GB SSD be a ‘waste‘ for installing a Hypervisor on? How much space is typically needed?

3) How many VMs have you guys run on a Gen8 comfortably without it being sluggish?

4) Everyone seems to be going RAID crazy these days. Is there any reason to use it if high-availability is not that necessary and a good backup plan is in place? What is wrong with separate disks (or singular Raid0s)?

5) Does using Type-1 Hypervisors have any effect on the internal fans speed/noise? Is it possible to have 3-5 VMs running and still have the fan speed @~8% as it was when I was using 2 nested (Type-2) VMs?

Sorry in advance if some of these questions are silly, common knowledge, or “depends on what you are doing in the VMs!” 😆

Thanks in advance to all those that help!
    • dxzdxz1
      By dxzdxz1
      This is my first post here but I've been lurking in this forum for quite sometime now, and from what I understand, the only reason that we couldn't achieve 32gb ram on the Microserver Gen8 was because there was no 16gb unbuffered ecc ram available before.

I was searching for a memory module meeting this criteria and I found this one. My question is, letting aside this ridiculous price, is there any compatibility issue that could make this ram won't work on the Microserver Gen8?

Most of the threads here about memory compatibility are quite old and I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask this, so I'm creating this one.

Thanks in advance.