RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

More Interesting MicroServer Links

jmwills

Yes, I did finally see the link. I should have read your post first as I too tried to use a regular PCI NIC. Don't know that I am ready to put $130 NIC Card into a box I only paid $180 for.

Looks like it will be a Server 8 box. I did put a 60gig SSD drive in it and possibly a Rocket RAID 2720 card.

ikon

LOL, the SSD and 2729 cost more than the microserver :D

Joe_Miner

Yes, I did finally see the link. I should have read your post first as I too tried to use a regular PCI NIC. Don't know that I am ready to put $130 NIC Card into a box I only paid $180 for.

Looks like it will be a Server 8 box. I did put a 60gig SSD drive in it and possibly a Rocket RAID 2720 card.

The dual Intel NIC is overkill in our MicroServers (since when has that stopped us :) ) -- I plan to use that Dual NIC in a future build that I'm kinda have half planned and will eventually replace it with Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 which has gotten a lot of good reviews. I'd keep an eye out -- Newegg seems to cycle thru their discounts/sales on NICs on a regular basis.

I've read of people on other blogs/user groups that have put 2720's in their MicroServers -- a SSD and 2720 is very interesting! That would certainly make the MicroServer Scream performance.

jmwills

LOL, the SSD and 2729 cost more than the microserver :D

Good point.....actually about the same.

The dual Intel NIC is overkill in our MicroServers (since when has that stopped us :) ) -- I plan to use that Dual NIC in a future build that I'm kinda have half planned and will eventually replace it with Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 which has gotten a lot of good reviews. I'd keep an eye out -- Newegg seems to cycle thru their discounts/sales on NICs on a regular basis.

I've read of people on other blogs/user groups that have put 2720's in their MicroServers -- a SSD and 2720 is very interesting! That would certainly make the MicroServer Scream performance.

I could use one for a proposed pfSense/ISA server build...hmmmmmmm To use the RAID card, they just unplugged the SAS cable from the MOBO and connected it to the card, right?

ikon

To use the RAID card, they just unplugged the SAS cable from the MOBO and connected it to the card, right?

That's a little confusing sounding. Do you mean, basically, unplug the SSD from the mobo and connect it to the RAID card?

jmwills

The SAS cable is connected to the backplane into which the 4 drives are connected. So, instead of connecting that cable directly into the board, connect into an add-on RAID card and have more flexibility. I think the MS can only support RAID 0 & 1 natively.

ikon

gotchya..... I think.

jmwills

Just think of it as an add-on card vs on-board RAID. The breakout cables connect to the four drives and have only one connector that would either connect to the main board or a RAID card.

ikon

Yeah, I have a 3ware 9650SE 4LPML card in my WHS2011. It uses a SFF-8087 breakout cable (actually, the same one the RR 2672 uses). Mind you, I've never myself seen a mobo with an SFF8087 connector. That's the one you guys are all saying is so hard to disconnect, right?