RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
samiam79

Static IP Necessary for Remote Access?

samiam79

Hi All,

I just recently completed my first WHS 2011 server build and in the process of getting everything configured. I just finished getting the remote desktop configuration and everything seems to be working fine. I registered a free domain through Microsoft (XXXXXXX.homeserver.com).

Now, my question is this ... is it necessary to get a static IP address assigned to the Server? Currently, the Server is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. I also have several other clients (i,e, desktops, laptops, tablets) all connected wirelessly. My concern is whether I will run into any issues whenthe Server needs to reboot. I haven't rebooted it yet.. hoping to get some advice before testing this out :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Sam

jmwills

No external static address is needed. Just configure a reservation for the MAC address and configure the port forwarding as necessary.

ikon

I recommend static IP addresses for all servers, printers, and other shared devices on your home LAN. I prefer not to use DHCP reservations but they are viable.

jmwills

Just make sure, if you do use reservations, that you lease time is about 7 days or so.

ikon

I have my DHCP lease time set in months, like 7 months or so (can't quite recall ATM). Heck, why not; it's not like the devices are changing rapidly or anything. :)

jmwills

Heck, why not years? :)

ikon

IIRC, it won't let you set it that high ;)

pcdoc

Hi All,

I just recently completed my first WHS 2011 server build and in the process of getting everything configured. I just finished getting the remote desktop configuration and everything seems to be working fine. I registered a free domain through Microsoft (XXXXXXX.homeserver.com).

Now, my question is this ... is it necessary to get a static IP address assigned to the Server? Currently, the Server is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. I also have several other clients (i,e, desktops, laptops, tablets) all connected wirelessly. My concern is whether I will run into any issues whenthe Server needs to reboot. I haven't rebooted it yet.. hoping to get some advice before testing this out :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Sam

You do not need a static "external IP" and you can use IP reservation in your router. If you want to set a static IP than go ahead but I have been running off of reservation since day. It is really a personal choice.