RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dell Zino

Sam

Love the show guys.

After much research, I ended up ordering one of the new Zino desktop computers as a HTPC client for the WHS.

I think the best Performance/$ in the market

.Sam.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• jcollison

• dvn

• Sam

Top Posters In This Topic

When you get it set up and configured, please follow up here with a review. I would REALLY like to hear how much noise and heat this unit puts out. I would really like to get the new Asus EB1501 but there is no presently a US release announced (UK only).

The downside on the Zino for me is that it has no digital audio output (so, no surround sound to my amplifier) and it only supports 2.1 natively.

Come ON Asus...

Jaz

Here is what I got:

- Base unit - $229
- AMD Athlon 2core 6850e 1.8GHz - $110
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit - $30
- 3GB DDR2 SDRAM AT 800MHZ - $39
- 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
- Base Graphics
- NO wireless
- 8X DVD+/-RW
- Shipping - $39
- Tax - $30

However, I was able to find a link to Dell with 10% off and free shipping !!!
Try this: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/dm_presale_black_friday?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&dgc=DM&cid=46690&lid=1304798

It all added up to be $378 delivered (middle of December). I think it's a good deal, about $110 discount.

From what I've found it's almost silent ! and can do Hulu 720p with base graphics. The CPU should be about 2-3x faster than the Atom 330. There was no review of the upgraded graphics, so I stayed away from it.

All in all, with the discount, it's the best deal in town.

.Sam.

Cool Sam! I saw these right after I ordered my Lenovo Q110. I am very happy with my machine, but the price and extra horse power of your Zino looks tempting. You going to use a TV tuner? HD Homerun would be cool.

Does anyone else find the name surprisingly similar to Zune HD? Strange.

Awesome deal. If you want to do an un-boxing and review of it please let me know. I can get it posted to the blog for everyone to see.

I got mine with standard wired keyboard/mouse. I do have a set of wireless from my old windows machine (I'm enjoying my brand new iMac i5 27" these days ;-)

However, I will need a Media Center remote. Any suggestions?

Use a Harmony remote if you are going to be integrating it into a setup with a TV/receiver. That's what I use. You will have to get a USB IR receiver though.

Check my TivoCenter build post on the site. I do a mini review of the remote I purchased for it. I mainly purchased the remote to get the IR USB receiver. I can use my Harmony 880 with the USB IR Rcvr. but just haven't gotten around to doing it.