RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kaen

HTPC/6TB RAID-5 Server Build - Completed

ikon

Wow, I have never had a motherboard that had ram go into unlink slots, weird! The only reason I recognized the mistake was from making it myself :). I think 70% or more of the things I know are from learning from darn mistakes :D.

Yeah, surprised me too. I had a quick look and I think I 'retired' that mobo some time ago.

EnglishmaninNY

Kaen

Love this setup and its very much what I'm thinking of doing. I had a few questions which would help me in my build:

1 - Why the separate RAID controller? The MOBO has support for RAID-5 already

2 - Why RAID-5? not RAID-1 or no RAID array at all just the fastest HDD you can get?

3 - Did you look into Wake on LAN options? any advice on that?

4 - Any regrets on the memory or cpu choice? Does it have sufficient grunt for the photo processing?

5 - Do you have any measurement on power usage for the whole system? under load and when idle?

6 - No bluetooth? or did I miss something

Related to the RAID question. I have a two WD Green 2TB drvies (actually they're black but I'm sending them back RMA for the Greens I originally had...long story) and a WD Green 750Gb. So like yourself I would be looking for a case with 3x3.5" HDD plus the SSD. Anyone have a good suggestion on which RAID to use?

BTW - Have to agree with Ikon at the moment regarding WD RE4. I had two WD green 2TB which worked beautifully for 2.5 years and then both gave up pretty much in as many months. I've been a viscous circle of getting them replaced with equally problematic drives. I get the impression I'm being used for testing reconditioned drives. RE4 are pricey but I get the impression that anything else just cheap roulette and my photos are worth more than that. Also good lesson in make sure you have a proper backup system (fortunately I did).

pcdoc

Kaen

Love this setup and its very much what I'm thinking of doing. I had a few questions which would help me in my build:

1 - Why the separate RAID controller? The MOBO has support for RAID-5 already

2 - Why RAID-5? not RAID-1 or no RAID array at all just the fastest HDD you can get?

3 - Did you look into Wake on LAN options? any advice on that?

4 - Any regrets on the memory or cpu choice? Does it have sufficient grunt for the photo processing?

5 - Do you have any measurement on power usage for the whole system? under load and when idle?

6 - No bluetooth? or did I miss something

Related to the RAID question. I have a two WD Green 2TB drvies (actually they're black but I'm sending them back RMA for the Greens I originally had...long story) and a WD Green 750Gb. So like yourself I would be looking for a case with 3x3.5" HDD plus the SSD. Anyone have a good suggestion on which RAID to use?

BTW - Have to agree with Ikon at the moment regarding WD RE4. I had two WD green 2TB which worked beautifully for 2.5 years and then both gave up pretty much in as many months. I've been a viscous circle of getting them replaced with equally problematic drives. I get the impression I'm being used for testing reconditioned drives. RE4 are pricey but I get the impression that anything else just cheap roulette and my photos are worth more than that. Also good lesson in make sure you have a proper backup system (fortunately I did).

Can not answer for him but here are my thoughts.

1. Ability to move array to another system, faster performance, more robust and stable, motherboards controllers are not very reliable or stable for anything but RAID 1.

2. Your option however in large arrays, RAID 5 gives you more storage (one parity drive per array).

scottm

Great little build there, thanks for the pics. I just ordered the same case for a htpc build but I am not going to put near the amount of stuff in it as you are. Glad to hear you really like it!