RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Kaen

HTPC/6TB RAID-5 Server Build - Completed

Kaen

I may be mistaked, but aren't you supposed to put ram into like colored slots to get them to work at DDR? I might just be having a brain fart, if so excuse me :).

Nice catch. I'm not sure how I missed that. Something to correct when I get home today. Thanks!

mattd390

Nice catch. I'm not sure how I missed that. Something to correct when I get home today. Thanks!

No prob! I'd hate for someone to not get all their memory bandwidth!! :)

Joe_Miner

Very nice Build!!

I like the looks of that Lian Li case too.

Thanks for posting the pictures and performance charts!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

ikon

Very nice job. And a big thanks for the fan info. I will have to check them out.

ikon

I may be mistaked, but aren't you supposed to put ram into like colored slots to get them to work at DDR? I might just be having a brain fart, if so excuse me :).

Good catch. And I hear you about the brain fart. I'm pretty sure I had/have a mobo that was just the opposite: I automatically put the DDR2 into same coloured slots, only to find it wasn't operating in dual-channel mode. When I RTFM, it said I had to one in the beige slot and 1 in the black one to get dual channel. It's the only mobo I can recall that was like that.

pcdoc

Awesome build. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Great benchmarks as well, should do the job for you.

mattd390

Good catch. And I hear you about the brain fart. I'm pretty sure I had/have a mobo that was just the opposite: I automatically put the DDR2 into same coloured slots, only to find it wasn't operating in dual-channel mode. When I RTFM, it said I had to one in the beige slot and 1 in the black one to get dual channel. It's the only mobo I can recall that was like that.

Wow, I have never had a motherboard that had ram go into unlink slots, weird! The only reason I recognized the mistake was from making it myself :). I think 70% or more of the things I know are from learning from darn mistakes :D.

Kaen

Thanks for the compliments on the build. I'm really enjoying this machine. I still can't believe how fast and yet quiet this thing is.

krom

Very nice build and thanks for sharing with us. Are you using Windows Media Center for your HTPC interface or something else?

Kaen

WMC w/MyMovies for now, but I'm going to be playing around with XBMC soon. I've heard good things about it and want to give it a try.