RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

HP Microserver $299 with free 2TB drive, free ship

jmwills

I know that "keep on working from home" feeling. The biggest obstacle I see is getting a license for VCenter in order to be able to control all of the different elements. I wilbe experimenting with Open Filer in the coming days to see if I can successfuly present iSCSI target LUNS to either the Hyper-V clients or ESXi clients.

Joe_Miner

ESXi on a thumb Drive works like a champ. I recently put a 90gig SSD in my Hyper-V server and that thing is just plain smokin'.

Thanks -- I may be calling for advice in the future.

jazzerjay

I know that "keep on working from home" feeling. The biggest obstacle I see is getting a license for VCenter in order to be able to control all of the different elements. I wilbe experimenting with Open Filer in the coming days to see if I can successfuly present iSCSI target LUNS to either the Hyper-V clients or ESXi clients.

Sounds like a good idea.

Joe_Miner

...snip.... The biggest obstacle I see is getting a license for VCenter in order to be able to control all of the different elements. I wilbe experimenting with Open Filer in the coming days to see if I can successfuly present iSCSI target LUNS to either the Hyper-V clients or ESXi clients.

OK, I have no clue what you're talking about but it sounds like fun -- I'd love to hear more ---

jazzerjay

You already know that ESX is a hypervisor that runs on bare metal allowing you to house multiple operating systems on the same hardware. VCenter is an application that lives on a windows server (physical or virtual) or virtual appliance for version 5 that controls more functionality between ESX hosts. Among those are reporting, share storage between the hosts, distributed virtual switches and a ton of other features all rolled up into a pretty expensive little package including HA, DRS, vmotion and storage vmotion.. (expensive for me anyway, not for corporate) I believe there is a separate forum for this type of discussion, but you could start here at this link. http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/mid-size-and-enterprise-business/features.html

@jmwillis, this is my "work at work".

jmwills

It used to be mine until I pigeoned holded myself with Share Point and SQL.....so, the VCenter is not really needed? All I really wanted to do was run ESXi from the thumb drive and have a data store used by one 1 TB drive for all the VM's and present some sort of SAN Storage to those VM's, which looks like OpenFiler may be the best option. This would allow SAN storage to be seen by those VM's thru an iSCSI target.

VMotion....I understand the principle but I don't need that at home. HyperV can be installed as bare metal also but I am more familiar with ESXi for that.

jazzerjay

VMotion....I understand the principle but I don't need that at home. HyperV can be installed as bare metal also but I am more familiar with ESXi for that.

If you're running a single ESX host, no need for virtual center. Here's the page for ESXi only. "VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the new name for what was formerly known as VMware ESXi Single Server or free ESXi (often abbreviated to simply “VMware ESXi”)"

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

You'll be golden. VMotion is used for moving a live VM from one host to another using shared storage and exactly networking setups (vswitches). Storage vmotion is the same but on the storage side. High Availability (HA) is useful for when a host has a hardware failure, the VM will restart up on another host, provided there is shared storage involved. (Among other things) Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) is a CPU/memory performance balance mechanism that moves VMs between host to ensure efficiency. Again, these are all great things, but if you have only one host, they're all useless.

I seem to remember that vCenter is $5000. So...that's not going to happen for someone like me who second guesses buying a 2TB hard drive that I don't need for $109.

jmwills

Back to my original plan then...migrate from HyperV to ESXi with an OpenFiler iSCSI target.

jazzerjay

Back to my original plan then...migrate from HyperV to ESXi with an OpenFiler iSCSI target.

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/faqs.html

How much does VMware vCenter Converter cost?

VMware vCenter Converter is available free of charge for any user. Technical Support is not included and will need to be purchased separately. Does one need a license key to activate and use VMware vCenter Converter?

You do not require a license key to use the features of Converter.

tojoski

Just curious what made you decide on openfiler for the iscsi target?

p

You might consider OpenIndiana, which is basically the community supported Opensolaris : http://openindiana.org

or Nexenta, also solaris based http://nexentastor.o...ommunityEdition or ZfsGuru, based on FreeBSD : http://zfsguru.com

Openindiana and Nexenta provide iscsi support at the kernel level, and you get all the benefits of a ZFS backend for your storage.

edit: just realized you were talking about running openfiler on the microserver itself, probably not powerful enough for ZFS in that case.

Edited by tojoski