RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

HP Microserver $299 with free 2TB drive, free ship

ikon

It's not. The strange thing is that I have had two different issues in the past 48 hours on my EX485. One was a red hardware error and then suddenly green. Then this morning I could not connect to the console nor to any folders. Server responded to a ping, but not RDP. After a hard power off, we were back in action.

Server logs said that the previous shutdown was unexpected. Interestingly enough, the time was hours before I pulled the plug. Looks like I couldn't have bought this at a better time.

Good luck with it.

Joe_Miner

It's not. The strange thing is that I have had two different issues in the past 48 hours on my EX485. One was a red hardware error and then suddenly green. Then this morning I could not connect to the console nor to any folders. Server responded to a ping, but not RDP. After a hard power off, we were back in action.

Server logs said that the previous shutdown was unexpected. Interestingly enough, the time was hours before I pulled the plug. Looks like I couldn't have bought this at a better time.

Sounds like your EX485 overheard you ordering a MicroServer and now it's PO'd -- You have to be careful what you say around your EX-4XX they're very sensitive you know! :)

Wishing you the best with your new build -- you're gona have fun!! (Till then be sure to talk nice to your EX-4xx -- maybe some cool filtered green power and relaxing Pandora will do the trick.)

ikon

Sounds like your EX485 overheard you ordering a MicroServer and now it's PO'd -- You have to be careful what you say around your EX-4XX they're very sensitive you know! :)

Wishing you the best with your new build -- you're gona have fun!! (Till then be sure to talk nice to your EX-4xx -- maybe some cool filtered green power and relaxing Pandora will do the trick.)

:D

jazzerjay

Now that's just funny right there. I think you're spot on about that. All this hype about this box and I've been too sick to work on it. What has happened to our world where a man cannot simply sit down and enjoy building a new server? Unfortunately I'm at work today and have much to do here as well. At least I have tonight. :)

Joe_Miner

Now that's just funny right there. I think you're spot on about that. All this hype about this box and I've been too sick to work on it. What has happened to our world where a man cannot simply sit down and enjoy building a new server? Unfortunately I'm at work today and have much to do here as well. At least I have tonight. :)

On the bright side you can be thinking of all the great times you and you MicroServer will be having :)

jmwills

A lot of times, it is better to back off for a bit and come back fresh.

jazzerjay

On the bright side you can be thinking of all the great times you and you MicroServer will be having :)

Joe, what drives are you going to use to test with and what OS will you try? (all of them...I know)

Joe_Miner

Joe, what drives are you going to use to test with and what OS will you try? (all of them...I know)

I'm planning to start out playing with a SSD for the OS and use the 250 that comes with for my VHD's till HD prices come down. I'm thinking of starting with 2008 R2 and see how that performs with Hyper-V. I have an old 750 (7200 RPM) that I may put in for data and a 2T green I could put in for backups.

Hopefully next weekend or the one after. Very short on time right now.

Further down the road I'd like to see about trying to load ESXi 5 via a flash on the MB.

I'm a real novice at this so it will be a learning experience :)

Edited by Joe_Miner

jmwills

ESXi on a thumb Drive works like a champ. I recently put a 90gig SSD in my Hyper-V server and that thing is just plain smokin'.

jazzerjay

I'll be doing the same I think. Starting with ESXi on a thumb drive as I don't have an SSD for testing. ESX testing will be very short as I'm not looking for functionality but more for gee whiz, I suppose. I own a licensed copy of WHS v1 and WHS 2011, so I'll be installing and comparing to see what best suits our environment/needs.

All of this might be moot since I'll probably install v1 on here and go back to reading. I often times don't want to keep "working" when I get home, so I forego testing as much as I'd like.