RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

HP Microserver $299 with free 2TB drive, free ship

texasPI

I wish I would have waited. I didn't need the WHS software that came with the last deal. I've been wanting another 2tb hard drive but not at current prices! Oh well, mine is now hosting my WHS and it is working fine. I just wish I could disable the glowing HP logo on it.

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmwills

The force was strong with this one....resist I did!

jazzerjay

The trigger has been pulled. I bought my EX485 in April of 09, looks like it's time. :rolleyes:

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yeah... but is this an issue?

Embedded SATA

controller

SATA Protocol SATA 2, 3Gb/s

SATA Ports 5 internal

Port transfer rate 3Gb/s total

So I suppose one could get a better internal card.

And what about Raid 0 OR Raid 1 support? I'm sure it will do JBOD, but I suppose I'm just a bit curious.

RAID Levels Supported RAID 1 (Mirroring)

RAID 0 (Striping)

I did find a guy posting a pretty good review of his. This alone appeals to expansion for sure. Then there's the question of "Do I NEED it?"

I'm currently running with 14Tb (a PCI-E card + (2) 4-bay Sans Digital JBODs) and this box is quiet and runs cooler than the external drive boxes. I've experienced no problems with skipping, and that's with the server also running other processes, like podcatching, u-torrent client, and TiVo trasnfer/recoding.

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1

(Jim, you slay me)

Yes those are concerns. But the drive is junk as well; being that it is a green drive. Why don't any of them use 7200 rpm drives?

I wish I would have waited. I didn't need the WHS software that came with the last deal. I've been wanting another 2tb hard drive but not at current prices! Oh well, mine is now hosting my WHS and it is working fine. I just wish I could disable the glowing HP logo on it.

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could use electrical tape or black duck tape.

jcollison

Yea...a 2TB drive (regardless of the color) would have been a better deal than a copy of 2011 since I have technet. Good job on pulling the trigger Jay! Very interested in hearing your assessment.

jazzerjay

Yea...a 2TB drive (regardless of the color) would have been a better deal than a copy of 2011 since I have technet. Good job on pulling the trigger Jay! Very interested in hearing your assessment.

Thanks...Didn't I tell you? I'm moving to Nebraska, so I'll need your address. Sorry for the short notice. Actually, I'm looking forward to it!

Yes those are concerns. But the drive is junk as well; being that it is a green drive. Why don't any of them use 7200 rpm drives?

My WD EADS are fine being green and they are 7200. Good point about the 5400 drive. Not sure where that will fit in here, but I'm sure I'll make it work.

jazzerjay

Shipped! Well tracking # at least. Which means I'll probably get it Monday.

ikon

Then there's the question of "Do I NEED it?"

How is that even part of the equation? :D :D

jazzerjay

How is that even part of the equation? :D :D

It's not. The strange thing is that I have had two different issues in the past 48 hours on my EX485. One was a red hardware error and then suddenly green. Then this morning I could not connect to the console nor to any folders. Server responded to a ping, but not RDP. After a hard power off, we were back in action.

Server logs said that the previous shutdown was unexpected. Interestingly enough, the time was hours before I pulled the plug. Looks like I couldn't have bought this at a better time.