RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

ESXi 5 on MicroServer?

Conrad T. Pino

Love this running ESXi, no issues whatsoever. Motherboard won't take more than 8GB of RAM if memory serves. Still, 8GB is fine and dandy.

The documentations does say 8GB but I pushed one of mine to 16GB with Crucial 16GB Kit CT2CP102472BD1339 UPC 649528754974.

Conrad T. Pino

Interesting question (and I agree on trying another USB stick, the Kingston GT100 works well too, used it to flash the BIOS):

Has anyone found a way to get the HP Remote Access Controller to work with ESXi? I've heard tell it's not compatible, which makes sense; I can't think of a way you could connect to individual VMs through it, which would limit access to a VCenter console.

An existing installation ran WHS and needed the HP RAC to deal with inevitable Windows hiccups. I reworked machine to boot ESXi 5.0 from internal USB port fitted with SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB and replaced WHS with Windows 2008 R2 Foundation leavning the RAC in place.

The RAC operates at hardware level and is OS transperant, neither ESXi nor Windows realized it presence.  I can use RAC to view ESXi console but there is never any need as ESXi just runs and runs and runs.

Windows 2008 R2 still hiccups occasionally but not as often as WHS did. I setup network access to support Vsphere Client remotely so I can see Windows console as needed.  ESXi has replaced the RAC function.

Edited by Conrad T. Pino

Conrad T. Pino

OK how many VMs are you running on your N40L? My second one is now installed. It's not the memory I am worried about but the CPU.

I have 8 VMs installed but never run more than 5 at once.  One is an Active Directory Domain Controller & DHCP, 2nd is AD Certificate Services both low demand as I'm only AD member.  3rd is active File and SQL Server.  2 more are Linux in Debian and RedHat flavors.  The last 3 are special project configurations of Windows 2003, 2008 and Debain.  A primary Linux comes down when special VM is needed.

Dvampoul

Hi Guys may i ask a quiestion regarding RDM proccess on HP Proliang G1610T Gen8 Microserver?

I am running latest HP Customized image 6.0.0 (May-2015) with older HPVSA driver due to speed issues.

I have 2x3TB WD-RED (RAID1) and 2x640GB (RAID1) and one SSD_240GB as an ESXi host datastore. Hypervisor is installed in MicroSD slot (8GB)

I managed to make both volumes (3TB) and (640GB) available on Virtual machines. I configure them as physical so i can run for example 3 or 4 VMs using same RAID1 volume.

My basic questions are:

1)Since both volumes (3TB) and (640GB) made RDM with relative commands (as physical) does RAID1 function (mirroring) continue to work as it should or this disrupted?

2)When i run 2-3VM's and making changes on RDM volumes (3TB) or (640GB) changes sometimes late to be replicated. Sometimes on Windows machines it needs to reboot or shutdown VM that make last change. Is that physical?

3)If i need to stop using RAID1 volumes as RDM i just delete VMDK file created or i should apply some commands? if yes please share with me a link if possible.

Thanks you all in adavnce for you replies.

Best Regards.

Dvampoul

Any news?

:-(

Tikanderoga

Are you using any raid card, or just what comes with the Microserver?

And did you assign the same RDM to multiple VMs? I tried that too, but ESXi wasn't happy with that and wouldn't let me.

I am running ESXi 6.0 at the moment, had 5.5 before.

Dvampoul

Are you using any raid card, or just what comes with the Microserver?

And did you assign the same RDM to multiple VMs? I tried that too, but ESXi wasn't happy with that and wouldn't let me.

I am running ESXi 6.0 at the moment, had 5.5 before.

Hi,

I am using the embeded RAID Controller of GEN8 Microserver and has 5 HDD's

Bay1: 1x3TB WD-RED (RAID1)

Bay2: 1x3TB WD-RED (RAID1)

Bay3: 1x640GB (RAID1)

Bay4: 1x640GB (RAID1)

Bay5: 1x240GB SSD (RAID0)

640 GB volume is Datastore 1 and 240 GB volume is Datastore 2,

Volume of 3TB is RDM and can me "seen" and shared informations between all VM's "On windows you have to make it as SATA 1:0 and go to disk management tools and set it to online) so as to be OK.

I user ESXi6 too with latest patch.

BR