RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

ESXi 5 on MicroServer?

2percenter

Hi, there is a compatibility list for hardware, just search for io devices and set the other filters as needed.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

Notbsure if the n40 supports passthrough, if so you could create the datastor on the internal sata connections and passthroughtthe controller to one vm. By doing so you will be able to use the controller for one big fileserver vm.

In regard to raid controllers, you can buy dell percs(5 or 6)cheap on ebay, check the compatibility list first. If youre keen in power efficiency, i recommend an adaptec 2405, this one can spin drives drown what not all raid controllers can, butis around 200 dollars and doesnt supportraid 5, if I remember correctly. Maybe the dell does.

On the other side you might like to check hyperv 2012, which might recognise your controller, inhave heard aboutbtweaks runing esxi in hyperv, or was that vice versa..

Good luck.

a15457

Yeah I've been through the compatability list ... Duh only after I'd already paid for the card. I was just after some recommendations given that there is only a small amount of space inside the N40L and would prefer to hear of some success stories before spending any more money ... my gf is going to kill me when I tell her I need to buy more computer bits.

Cheers.

:)

Guest no-control

IBM m1015 for a RAID card is confirmed compatible with ESXi. Flash with LSI firmware and your good to go.

a15457

Thanks for the response no-control ... a quick bit of googling tells me though that the IBM m1015 doesn't do RAID 5 without an extra addon card. :(

Cheers,

DAVE

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HOw much do you want for that 2720?

goldleader80

I have been running ESXi 5 on the MicroServer no problems. My setup is as follows:

6GB of RAM

HP Smart Array P410 RAID Controller

1x 250GB for install of ESXi and for VMs hard disks

3x 1TB RAID 5 for storage for my NAS4FREE VM, also acts as a Media Streamer to PS3 and Torrent client

The HP Smart Array P410 can be picked up for around £100 on ebay, that's what i did. Real easy to install and setup and works straight out of the box with no fuss.

As for memory take a look here under the RAM section and people are saying the server will take 16GB of memory which I might have to upgrade to.

Loving this server got the £100 cash back so total cost for server, Raid card and memory was only about £250, already had the 3 x 1TB drives.

Also if you want to backup your VMs Veeam do a free version of their software that will take a full backup of a VM and also compress it. Doesn't do any scheduling but for a one off backup its very good, also you can restore the whole VM or just certain files if needed. Link

Edited by goldleader80

ikon

I find the built-in Task Scheduler works great for running almost anything.

a15457

Thanks GoldLeader80 onthe RAID card tip. I'll keep it in mind.

CablDeViL

I am having a problem getting ESXi 5.1 to boot from a USB stick. I guess its time to load up my old USB CD Drive.

jmwills

Try a different stick.