RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

ESXi 5 on MicroServer?

jmwills

Without the RAID Controller, ESXi will only see 2TB at a time. I have been experimenting with iSCSI to try and solve this since I already have the controller on another box. It shoudl work, just not enough time to play with it.

KrisseZ

So you're saying if you throw a 3 Tb disk to ESXi it can only see 2 Tb?

jmwills

From everything I have researched, ESXi can only see 2TB from a non RAID or iSCSI location. So, yes. However, I do not have any 3TB drives to experiment with.

KrisseZ

If I understood correctly that is a limitation which as removed by the VMFS-5 update. From 2 Tb LUN cap to 60 Tb.

jmwills

I doubt that is the case in the free verison.

KrisseZ

I don't know much about VMware lisencing. I've been using ESXi 5 machines with no licenses and all of their datastrores are VMFS-5 formatted.

jeroenn

Hello all,

Registered especially because I do have an N40L and I am running ESXi 5.0.

And 2 bays with 3TB drives too btw. From 5.0 the >2TB drives are recognised so I found out.

I only have one remaining problem:

the health monitor function only reports software and the cpu status. No temps, no fan speeds,

ans, more important, no S.M.A.R.T. harddisk info!

HP doesn't seem to provide the necessary interface drivers for the AMD controller?

Anyone know of a possible workaround for that?

Greetings, Jeroenn.

Joe_Miner

Hello all,

Registered especially because I do have an N40L and I am running ESXi 5.0.

And 2 bays with 3TB drives too btw. From 5.0 the >2TB drives are recognised so I found out.

I only have one remaining problem:

the health monitor function only reports software and the cpu status. No temps, no fan speeds,

ans, more important, no S.M.A.R.T. harddisk info!

HP doesn't seem to provide the necessary interface drivers for the AMD controller?

Anyone know of a possible workaround for that?

Greetings, Jeroenn.

Welcome to the forums -- I hope you will return and post often about what you are doing in your N40L with ESXi and anything else that interests you!!

There are several people on here from time to time that know a lot about ESXi AND HP Servers whereas my skill level is only to the level that I can (usually) spell it :) I've switched gears and am getting my feet wet with Hyper-V but hope to eventually try ESXi.

Would there be anything useful at HP's official ESXi download page https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09 which is the same I think of http://www.hhp.com/go/esxidownload

I've read but haven't tried (yet) that the one Proliant bundle covers all Proliant models so you only need the one bundle from HP of CIM drivers to cover everything. I've read that there's a Zip file available from HP that supplies that bundle "hp-esxi5.0uX-bundle-1.0-20.zip"

When I was first thinking of tackling ESXi on my MicroServer I took a lot of notes -- the above reference is from my notes.

jeroenn

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply! I have been checking the vmware and HP pages and your link now as well.

Most HP servers seem to be supported. The problem is that the microserver doesn't seem to be.

Supported OS'es for this one are only win server and linux.

HP offers specific ESXi versions for other Proliants. Each version seems to be spcific for certain

hardware configurations, since the links to that have questions as to what exact type you have,

together with a comment that there is no common version for all servers.

If I understand correctly, there are vendor specific drivers for the CIM info, and my quest now

proceeds with fnding the right ones for the SATA chipset this N40L uses...

Greetings, Jeroen.

a15457

Hello all,

I just recently bought an N40L with 8G of RAM, 4 x 3Tb HDDs, and a RocketRAID 2710 RAID card ... this was all with the intention of running ESXi 5 for me to mess about with at home ... I've since found out that the RAID card I bought isn't supported by VMWare. Sooooo spewing!

Anyway ... does anyone have any recommendations about what sort of RAID card I should buy that will fit into the N40L? I wanted to run RAID 5 across the 4 disks.

Cheers.

Dave

:)

Edited by a15457