RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming Video Looks Terrible

keilor290

Hello,

This is my first post to any forum. I need help with a problem. When I try to stream video over the web from the yourname.homeserver.com, the videos start and play but look terrible. Its almost as if they are playing at a lower resolution or quality. I have tried changing the settings from low medium high and best. This changes nothing. I have also tried changing the video format, I have tried avi mpeg wmv and several others.I am running the server on a Dell Optiplex 745 with a Core 2 Duo Quad Core QX6700, ATI Radeon x1300pro video card, 8GB of DDR2 ram and the newest bios of the motherboard. Please any help, suggestions or thoughts on this would really be appreciated.

The built in streaming is very inefficient and does not work very well. Depending on the devices you what play to, consider something like :stream to me for audio/Video/photos, or Air Video for IOS which would stream inside and outside of you house.

I have been using Subsonic and it works well. The thing is I paid to purchase software with this feature and it is really annoying that it does not work properly. I cant think of what I am doing wrong.

What kind of upload do you have on your internet connection? I think it does a speedcheck and adjusts the quality accordingly.

Hi, I know that Subsonic does but I don't know if whs 2011 does a speed check. My download is 25.48 Mbps and upload is 4.27 Mbps as checked on speakeasy speed test. I don't think it is the upload speed, it seems to be a setting maybe? Something I was hoping to find out. I really hope the first poster is wrong about whs 2011 not being a good video streamer as this is the whole reason for buying it.

I have heard many people indicating the built in streaming doesnt work. I am afraid you wasted your money.

ARGGHH Microsoft you did it to me again!!! I just got done installing on my core i7 920 machine with a gtx 295 graphics card and 12 gigs of ddr3 ram installed and video still stinks when streaming. I guess it is time to change it to a win7 machine and just use Subsonic, it seems to stream my videos even in high def really well. Does anyone know of any other programs? The first poster mentioned some, but on looking at them they look like the kind that stream to iphones or ipads, might be wrong though. Anyone else have any suggestions to fix streaming video before I give up?

What devices are you streaming to? Stream to Me and Air Video work great if you have an IOS device. The homeserver app works well if you have WP7.

I am streaming to another PC. One with Win7 ( Home ) the others are running XP ( Work ). However it makes no difference the video is bad on both platforms in both locations.

Hey just thought you might want to know that the fan I ordered came in today for the optiplex 745 I mentioned in the original post. There is an optional fan for the HDD that did not come with this PC, it wasn't needed untill the cpu upgrade. After installing the fan my videos appear to be looking much better. I am not sure but it could have been throttling the cpu because of excess heat. I will test for awhile and if it seems to be better, if it is I will mark this post as answered.