RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Rack Mount Help

CablDeViL

I am in the process of planning/building a new office in the basement. I would like to have a rack closet to house my server / vm / and Super router. I do not have any experience on the new rack units. I am looking to house 14 hard drives on the server - the VM will be a 5 hdd raid and the super router will be small.

So i need a rack and 3 cases. Any help @ a good price point?

Thank You

CD

Guest no-control

Cheapest place to find racks is on craigslist. Seriously.

For the file server case I would suggest the Norco 4220 or 3216 depending on your rack space. For the router I would use the SM 5015 it frequently goes on sale. For anything else the Norco 2U stuff should fit the bill.

If you're looking for cheap and do not need the fancy hot swap bays I've heard good thing about Rosewill's server cases.

I ended up buying a rack from http://www.dantraknet.com. I got the 20u 30" model. It has the capability of being expanded into a 4 post. It is a pretty solid rack. The customer service was great and shipping was really quick to me here in Michigan. I use the Rosewill cases that no-control mentioned. They do the trick for me. I actually have all 3 that they list on newegg. They had some really good deals on them around black friday so I had to bite. My only complaint is that their fans are pretty loud, so I swapped them out. Newegg has sliding rails for the Rosewill cases now too. I actually ordered some recently. Once I get the 4 post upgrade kit for my rack, I could post a pic of the rails installed if you'd like. Here is a pic of my rack for you. Hope this helps!

photo1.jpg

Thank you for your opinions . An electrician friend of mine that does data centers just hooked me up with a massive rack about an hour ago. So now I need to focus on the cases.

@mattd390 nice switch have the same Dlink

Thank you for your opinions . An electrician friend of mine that does data centers just hooked me up with a massive rack about an hour ago. So now I need to focus on the cases.

@mattd390 nice switch have the same Dlink

Man, I wish I got mine for free :D. Yeah, the switch works great! I think I only had to reset it once and its been up and going for months. Solid piece of equipment. If you have any questions on the Rosewill cases just ask!

one comment on the super router too... you can buy the 1u server no-control recommended on newegg for about 70 bux less if you buy the MB and enclosure separately. I read it on servethehome.com. he has a review of it too.