samiam79

WHS 2011 - After installing connector software, prompted for username and pw on client - please help

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Seeking some help and/or advice on the following issue. I just completed my WHS 2011 build and started the process of running the connector software on each of my machines. After successfully installing the connector software on my desktop PC (windows 7), the computer restarted and booted up - then prompted me for username and password before logging into Windows. I don't recall ever setting up a username and password on the PC. I've had it configured where it has always automatically logged into Windows without requiring credentials.

I had to do a system restore and now hesitant to try to reinstall the connector software. Is there a way to disable the username/password requirement? If not, can someone please advise how to replace the existing one that's on my PC? I assume its in the User Controls section of the Control Panel, but not sure exactly what the path is.

Thanks!

Easy fix. In order to install the connector software your computer must be configured to ask for a usernname and password. After installing and rebooting just go to the run command (windows key + r) and type in "control userpasswords2" without the quotes.

You can then de-select the requirement for a password upon login. Ensure you select the user you want to automatically log on each time. It will ask you for that user's password (twice) and will cache it. From then on that user will be automatically logged on each time the system reboots.

You may also want to ensure passwords are not required when waking from standby. Or you might want them enabled for security. But by default, windows will also require a password upon waking from standby so if you are sure you don't want to ever have to enter passwords you will want to go into advanced power settings and disable password upon waking. This will require administrative rights.

Thanks timekills!! Just logged into the server and unchecked the "Users must enter a username.." requirement. I already did a restore on the client PC and now reinstaling the connector software (waiting for it to complete). So just to clarify, I should no longer be prompted for username or password on the client PC, correct? Thanks for the quick reply!!

Well, just tried it. And I'm still getting prompted for a username and password when the client PC boots up. I even tried changing the credentials on my desktop PC, but to no avail. I'm stuck here and not sure what to do. Any advice that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you misunderstood timekills. I read his post to mean that you have to make the changes on the client pc, not the server. I recommend you re-read his post carefully and try again.

How to auto login Windows 7 user and password.

1. Go to Start and type "netplwiz" in the Start Search windown.

2. Right click "netplwiz" listed under Programs.

3. Select Run as administrator and the User Accounts box opens

4. Uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and

password to use this computer".

5. Click apply.

6. Enter user password and confirm password.

7. Click OK and then OK on the User Accounts box.

In the same topic is there away to auto doc the connector to the tool bar so when the clients boot you dont have to minimize it? Just annoying but I never took the time to search for an answer.

5. Click apply.

Or control userpasswords2 as above. They both do the same thing. I guess I'm a little old school there :) But...

I believe you misunderstood timekills. I read his post to mean that you have to make the changes on the client pc, not the server. I recommend you re-read his post carefully and try again.

Correct. The issue has nothing to do with the server. Your system still requires a username and password, you're simply having Windows automatically enter it for you for one user on the client. You want the user auto-login on your client PC.

5. Click apply.

The issue I have is I want a default non-admin account that auto-logs in and another admin account that requires login. It works not bad during system startup, but after the system comes out of screen saver mode it always prompts for the password, even for the default account.

The issue I have is I want a default non-admin account that auto-logs in and another admin account that requires login. It works not bad during system startup, but after the system comes out of screen saver mode it always prompts for the password, even for the default account.

If you check above I mentioned you have to go into power settings and remove the requirement to enter password when resuming from standby. This option is greyed out, and enabled (i.e. password required) by default. You will need to select enable all options, which can only be done by an admin. On the left side of the power options screen one of the options is something like "require password on wakeup". You can click that as well to get to the option to disable. This is separate from initial auto-login.

If you want to have a non-admin as auto-login, just create a non-admin user. From the run box type control userpasswords2 and select the non-admin account you want as the default auto login account.