RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RR 2680 problem

KrisseZ

Okay so I just received a new RR2680GSL card and plugged it into my server. After a moment of playing with it I realized it cannot detect any of the hdds.

I immediately upgraded the raid bios to v1.1 but still nothing. In the process of booting and cheking various things I also broke the installation of the

2008R2 which was running on the server, so I ended up using just the BIOS management.

I've looked around and it seems the 2680 is a pretty popular card here so any ideas?

Specs are following:

CPU AMD 250 X2

Mobo ASrock N68C-S UCC

RAM 2x2 gb 1333 DDR3

4 different hdds from SATAI to SATAII and 2 different SFF fanouts (which I am unable to verify if they are broken or invalid in some otherway) .The card

is plugged into a pci-e 16x slot and in BIOS I didn't find an option to manually negotiate the link speed to 4x.

Opinions? Is there something voodoo going around or do I have a faulty card?

Oh and one last thing. I even tried the card in the 1x mode, but then the card wouldn't even boot up. The booting process would just skip the 2680 bios completely.

=======Ranting. Do not read if you aren't interested in how pissed of I am.=================

And to vent out some of the bad feeling, I'm feeling like a total moron! I purchased this card from germany (I live in Finland) and the even the GSL model. I thought I was being

so clever because I saved 50€ by doing so. No when it seems I might have a warranty situation I'm so angry because I could have bought the same card with the cables from Finland

and paid the extra 50-60€. Now I'm going to have find some SFF cables for testing because guess what? In Finland those cables cost from 30 to 60€... the cheapest ones + post expenses.

So if I buy myself one test cable I have already almost negated the savings I made and not even sure if it will help me.

So long story short: By saving 50€ I have positioned myself in a very shitty situation.

======Ranting ends===========================================================

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• KrisseZ

Can you get into the 2680's BIOS? You said the word BIOS, but I'm not clear whether you meant the 2680's or the mobo's.

Also, double-check that you have the SFF cable firmly seated into the 2680's connector. Finally, ensure that the drives are actually getting power; listen closely to one of them, or move it around a bit after power on to see if you get the gyrocopic resistance effect or not.

Yes I can get into the RR 2680's BIOS and I have have checked the SFFs seating many times and the HDDs are getting power. I've tried the HDDs within the backplane and without the backplane. The HDDs have been tested to work with 4 different controlles. (3 different mobos and 1 sil based sata controller).

I have ticket pending on the highpoint web support. Will wait an answer from them and in the mean time try the card on a different machine before starting the warranty showdown. I'd hate to send this card back and forth to germany, since it takes like 8 - 11 working days per side. So if it goes to warranty I might see the card next time after a month. :C

There is one other option. I do not believe the card is bad however what is the MFG of the cables you bought. There are "two" type of breakout cables. One is a forward and the other is reverse. Visually they are the same but they are wired completely different. If you used a non highpoint cable, you have to make sure you bought the right one.

There is one other option. I do not believe the card is bad however what is the MFG of the cables you bought. There are "two" type of breakout cables. One is a forward and the other is reverse. Visually they are the same but they are wired completely different. If you used a non highpoint cable, you have to make sure you bought the right one.

I knew you'd be the guy to ask about this :D. This is great info. I had no idea there a 2 cable types. Do both types have the same standard number, like SFF-8087?

I knew you'd be the guy to ask about this :D. This is great info. I had no idea there a 2 cable types. Do both types have the same standard number, like SFF-8087?

Some MFG like adaptec use a -F or -R while others embed it in their part numbers. Some use more descriptive names. Do a search on newegg for SFF-8087 and you see a bunch of variations. Silly but true. Take a look at these two links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116101

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116099

Some MFG like adaptec use a -F or -R while others embed it in their part numbers. Some use more descriptive names. Do a search on newegg for SFF-8087 and you see a bunch of variations. Silly but true. Take a look at these two links:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816116101

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816116099

If that isn't one of the dumbest things I've seen. How hard would it be to call one SFF-8087 and the other SFF-8087R?

Thanks again for pointing it out.