RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

so... where to use my new SSD?

flyboyco

I have a server 2008 with 16gig ram, 3.1 gig dual-core processor.

I Run Hyper-v with:

WHS1 (4-gig ram)

Win7 vm (8-gig ram) for video processing and transcoding.

Win7 vm (2-gig) for misc testing.

XP VM for other testing.

I have 3 dedicated 2tb drives for the WHS, (1) 2tb drive for the video machine, and all the vm's are using small (127gb) vhd's off the main 2tb drive for the system drives..

I also have a HTPC (Win7) 2.5gig dual-core machine with 12gig ram.(2) 2tb drives.

Nothing is RAID. I stick with JBOD and drive extender.

I just bought a vertex plus 120gb SSD.and want to know where I should use it. I thought about putting in the HTPC, but it is used mostly for recorded TV and I believe that if I use the SSD for a new system drive, we can not view the recorded TV.

Any input is appreciated!

Keith in denver.

Hmmmmm, I guess I am not understanding your dilemma with the HTPC and SSD because that's where I personally would start with SSD's. It's the machine you are in front of a lot correct? The SSD will speed up your boot time, menu delay, etc. I would run the OS on it and keep using the other drives as storage. Just my opinion.

Nice setup on the 08 server by the way!

Hey Dave. I believe that if I install win 7 on the SSD and install it, I will not be able to access the recorded tv. It can only be accessed from the "same computer" that originally recorded it. A new install will look like a different computer.

Thanks for the input. I am pretty proud of the server set up. It has ban quite an experience. I also built a super router. Just running untangle. It got too complicated for me trying to use pf sense with it. That was a blast. And it has been very reliable. Thanks to all for the input in it.

I am a big fan, have been listening to the show for over a year. Have taken advise from the forums and the show. Thanks for all you do.

Ok, I can see that concern now. I have not run into that problem before but it does make me think. If that's the case how is it possible to copy recorded TV to a WHS and then play it on another MediaCenter PC? I do that all the time. Perhaps I'm only recording non DRM shows?

Thanks for your nice comments too. Glad you listen and now participate in the forums!

Do you physically copy it, or is it getting copied by the whs? This is starting so sound like a question for my other favorite podcasts regarding the HTPC... I will get back with you.

Otherwise, any thoughts on putting the SSD in the server? Use as a dedicated drive for the WHS vm?

I would not hesitate to use the SSD in the WHS V1.

Once you install the media center connector software on one of yourHTPC you can direct it to automatically archive TV recordings to the server.

I, and many others, use an SSD as a system drive in a HTPC and have no trouble achieving this.

However, if you are recoding stuff with a cable card tuner or other DRM content, I am not the person to respond.

Eitherway, I doubt the fact that you are using an SSD (as opposed to a HDD) as your os drive will make any difference to your ability to move recorded TV files.

TimeKills had an interesting article on how to speed up a Hyper-V build with a Z68 MB and an SSD at http://homeserversho...on-hyper-v.html

If you have a Z68 this may be worth looking into........................

I've built a couple HTPC's with SSD's but they were stand alone's. They're described here and here.

Edited by Joe_Miner

I agree with both Renny and Joe_Miner. Either will be fine. It would depend on how much you use you VM as to which direction you go. If you use the HTPC allot, that usually gets you the best bang for the buck.

Hey Dave. I believe that if I install win 7 on the SSD and install it, I will not be able to access the recorded tv. It can only be accessed from the "same computer" that originally recorded it. A new install will look like a different computer.

Thanks for the input. I am pretty proud of the server set up. It has ban quite an experience. I also built a super router. Just running untangle. It got too complicated for me trying to use pf sense with it. That was a blast. And it has been very reliable. Thanks to all for the input in it.

I am a big fan, have been listening to the show for over a year. Have taken advise from the forums and the show. Thanks for all you do.

Ok, I can see that concern now. I have not run into that problem before but it does make me think. If that's the case how is it possible to copy recorded TV to a WHS and then play it on another MediaCenter PC? I do that all the time. Perhaps I'm only recording non DRM shows?

Thanks for your nice comments too. Glad you listen and now participate in the forums!

What are you using to record the shows? I don't ATM, but I've used WMC to record TV and then copied the files around and I've never had a problem playing them.

flyboyco is correct: any DRM'd videos set with copy once can only be viewed on the PC that recorded them. If the shows are archived (automatically or manually) to a server, only the PC that recorded them can view them over the network. The choice of what shows to set the copy once flag on is at the discretion of your cable provider. Some set it on no shows, some on pay channels only, some are draconian. If he installs the SSD and reinstalls Win7 he will likely (read: definitely) lose the ability to watch any shows with the copy once flag set.

However, a couple courses of action are available:

1) Image the PC with your software of choice, install SSD into HTPC, and restore image. This will retain the DRM settings. (By the way, the same issue can occur if you are a Zune audio pass user.) Even if things go horribly wrong, you can always restore with your WHS backup, right? :)

2) Transcode the DRM'd videos thereby removing the DRM. This can be a bit tricky but there is software available that can bypass the copy once setting when transcoding. Bonus - you can now watch the shows on any PC or mobile device. Negative - you'll lose some quality although it might not be noticeable if you use a high enough bitrate. You can even transcode them back to WTV if you wish.

Joe: I didn't get the impresion he was on a Z68 or even Sandy Bridge setup since it is a dual core system he is using so I don't think SSD caching is the answer here.

Regardless, I'd still go with the HTPC and course of action #1. Most bang for buck IMHO.

Dave: You can archive DRM'd videos, and watch them on the original PC. Most likely your cable company is very light on the copy once flag settings. Many people never have to deal with this problem.