RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
scottbakertemp

My first real build in at least 10 years

scottbakertemp

My goal for this post:

What do you guys think of my build list? I could be persuaded on any of the unpurchased components but I'm really unsure about the motherboard. Any suggestions? Also what brand of serial ATA cables should I be using? Are monoprice serial ATA cables OK?

Requirements for the case:

I want to be able to lock the case cover so my son can't turn it on and off. I also want it to be really quiet.

Requirements for the PC:

I plan to do some light 3 monitor eyefinity gaming (Age of Empires 3 and Portal 2) but the PC will mostly be used as a multi tasking machine while running several hyper-V Vms under windows 8. I will NOT be overclocking. I also plan to drive 6 monitors (4 with my 6950 and 2 on the 4550) when not gaming.

Planning to buy in March:

- case: Sonata Elite

- motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3

- memory: 16 gig of DDR3 PC3-12800

- CPU: core i7 2600

Already own:

- primary video card: XFX 6950

- secondary video card: Gigabyte 4550

I also have an XFX 5770 but I'll probably go with the 4550 to save on power and noise.

- SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120 gig

- power supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

- 2 1 TB 7200 RPM hardrives for VMs and what not

Edited by scottbakertemp

pcdoc

Here are my thoughts:

Case - First, I would find a different case. For $89 and it only holds four drives is not a good value. My experience with Antec for case is also less than impressive.

Motherboard - Great choice but if it were me I would also look at the GA-Z68XP-UD3P as the it has the new heatsinks. Either will be fine.

Memory is a personal choice so you should be fine.

Great choice on the CPU.

scottbakertemp

Interesting, at first I thought the only difference between the GA-Z68XP-UD3 and GA-Z68XP-UD3P was the color and the 1 extra heatsink. But they are also different board revisions.

How are the heatsinks different?

pcdoc

They are a bit beefier and slightly more robust voltage regulation. And of course it looks cool.

scottbakertemp

I have the above system up and running minus the secondary video card and the hard drives. A couple of interesting things I noticed with "modern" PC builds.

1. I wasn't able to get a post screen until I installed some memory. Is that normal?

2. The intel heatsink doesn't require any thermal paste or a screw driver anymore.

3. I still had to install a nic driver after installing win7. It seems like there could be a legacy driver that windows could default to like with video cards. I guess that's too much to ask.

4. DIY pc builds are WAY QUIETER than they used to be.

pcdoc

I have the above system up and running minus the secondary video card and the hard drives. A couple of interesting things I noticed with "modern" PC builds.

1. I wasn't able to get a post screen until I installed some memory. Is that normal?

2. The intel heatsink doesn't require any thermal paste or a screw driver anymore.

3. I still had to install a nic driver after installing win7. It seems like there could be a legacy driver that windows could default to like with video cards. I guess that's too much to ask.

4. DIY pc builds are WAY QUIETER than they used to be.

1. Yes, absolutely

2. That's correct if you use the factory heatsink. If it is removed, you have to add thermal past back on.

3. That is also normal on most boards as they are not standard. Should be taken care of from the MFG disk.

4. Only if you buy good stuff....

Glad you got it running and enjoy it.

ikon

Just wanted to add re: no. 2: thermal 'paste' is still required; it's just that it comes already applied to the CPU cooler. As pcdoc says, if you remove the cooler for any reason, you will need to put replacement thermal paste before reattaching a cooler.

pcdoc

Good point.

scottbakertemp

Finally got around to getting a pic of my new build. I had to go with the 5770 as the second video card as the 4550 caused my PC to frequently disable aero. It still happens but very infrequently. The finance committee allowed me to buy a second SSD so I could have 1 for the OS and 1 running VMs.

corei7+build.jpg

ikon

Disable Aero? That seems a bit odd. Do you get the "video mode has been changed to xxx" message?