RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
sebringsc

Install WHS 2011 connection software with no Admin rights

sebringsc

@jmwills

You are correct, there is a no personal use for the computer and since everything on there is for her class its not personal but he still won't give her access. Like I mentioned, the school set up the computers to "backup" to the schools server, however it often overwrites data...in fact it almost always overwrites her data with old copies and they won't or dont' know how to fix it. I guess I will attempt to crack the password somehow or if I really have to I will just copy all of her ifles onto her 500GB portable drive and then hook that up to my server and back it up manually. It would just be really nice to not have to do it manually.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ikon

So, if all you really want to do is copy files up to your WHS to back them up, you could use RoboCopy on the laptop. It doesn't need to be installed so that won't be an issue. You could copy the files to a location that your wife could access from work if you like. Then, after the laptop syncs up with the school's server, she could copy the files back using a browser. Or, she could sync them back up when she gets home.

If you can get into Scheduled Tasks, perhaps you could create a task to auto-run RoboCopy in the middle of the night to ensure the most recent changes are backed up.

BTW, I back up My Documents from my main rig to my WHS2011 every night using this exact technique; it works like a charm and I never even think about it.

jmwills

We had discussed using Xcopy and batch files., but RoboCopy would work also.

ikon

We had discussed using Xcopy and batch files., but RoboCopy would work also.

I feel RoboCopy is much better than Xcopy. Here are a few of the reasons:

1. it only copies new and updated files, not wasting time copying files that are already on the destination;
  2. it is much more reliable/robust than Xcopy;
  3. it doesn't give up if it runs into a problem copying, such as running into a file that just won't copy for some reason; it moves on to the next file.