RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
sebringsc

Install WHS 2011 connection software with no Admin rights

sebringsc

I just got my WHS 2011 server up and running and have installed the software on all of my computers except my wife's work computer (which is the one I want to work the most). Unfortunately, we do not have the admin rights to the computer so when I go to http://SERVER_NAME/CONNECT and try to install the software, I am unable to do so. Is there a work around for this? Should I just run an FTP server from my WHS server so that we can transfer all of the data that way? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

ImTheTypeOfGuy

No work around. Can you have your admin give you temporary admin rights so you can install it.

ikon

I assume your wife's computer is a laptop she brings home? If so, you can (shhhh), run cracking software to get the password for Administrator. Could take a long time. You might have to do sequential runs every night for a while to find it :unsure:

sebringsc

you would be correct, this is my wife's work computer which she brings home at night. She is a teacher and is constantly updating lessons and stuff on it but every once in a while she takes the computer back to work and it syncs with the database, it deletes all the work she has done. I just wanted to set something up so she could back up her files from home (or school) so she didn't have to worry about it. I will try to see if an FTP server will work.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

jmwills

He still has to install the program.....

Joe_Miner

He still has to install the program.....

install Allway Sync on his server..............

jmwills

yes, but still he has no rights on the laptop to create folders and assign permissions. Only under his own profile. Crack the password and move on,

Joe_Miner

yes, but still he has no rights on the laptop to create folders and assign permissions. Only under his own profile. Crack the password and move on,

Sure he can, I do all the time -- copy my own data. His data will be under his profile. But, I guess it depends on how locked down the laptop is -- but, if you break the Admin password that's a violation of corporate IT policy which is a bad thing in most environments.

jmwills

Agreed....but most corporations have a no personal use for their equipment too. There are ways around this but this is not the place to discuss them. @ sebringsc..go to the IT Dept and see if they will give you Power User rights.