RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help me with FTP?

texasPI

I'm trying to set up FTP on my WHS 2011 box. Actually, I tried FileZilla Server but I just could not get it to work. So I enabled FTP through IIS in WHS and it is working, I'm able to access it via a browser, FileZilla client, and from my scanner.

The questions I have are these:

Can I have several directories or folders on one FTP server? In other words, lets say I want to have folders for receipts, auto service records, etc, is that possible? Would I create additional folders in the root FTP folder?

Perhaps to better understand, here is what I want to do and I want to know if a) can it be done and B) how so?

I have a networked Brother MFC. It is located in an out of the way area and whenever I want to scan something, I have to walk to the MFC, insert the documents in the machine, walk back to my computer then scan the documents. Now if I want to scan a lot of documents, this gets tiring. My Brother MFC can scan to FTP so ideally I'd go to the machine with my various documents and scan them all to my WHS via FTP using the Brother's control panel to route them to the appropriate folders or shares. Right now I've got the Brother configured to scan to FTP to my WHS but everything ends up in one folder.

Does that make sense or is there a stupidly simple and better way to accomplish what I want? I'm open to suggestions to something other than FTP. I know some of you use something else for document management but I can't remember what it is.

I am curious the model number of the device you are trying to use. A quick Google search shows on some you can set up FTP profiles. Each profile would be to a different sub-directory on the FTP server (or various servers).

I do know you can easily set sub-directories on an FTP server. It acts like any other file storage.

You mention that others are using other forms of document management and scanning. I think most either have their scanner hooked directly to the server or they scan on their desktop PC and send the document to the server for storage.

Sorry about that. Its a Brother MFC 7440n. Actually, I think I have it figured out. I created some virtual directories under the FTP site and I got it to work how I want. The creation of virtual directories were key. I had no problems with setting up the Brother to scan-to-ftp.

Did you setup Port Forwarding in your router? You need a DNS (which I assume you have a xxxxx.homeserver.com) and to port forward to the server's IP.

Did you setup Port Forwarding in your router? You need a DNS (which I assume you have a xxxxx.homeserver.com) and to port forward to the server's IP.

Yeah, I got the ports forwarded properly and the DNS configured. The only thing I'm still trying to figure out are permissions. I'm more than a little confused with all the settings under IIS for users. I'm the only one who'll be using it so I just need one user and I'm really not sure I need access outside my LAN. I'm reading more on this now to try and get a better understanding of it all.

You can certainly create sub-folders under the main FTP root folder. If the MFC can route to the sub-folders you should be golden.

I created folders in the root FTP folder, then I set up the Brother scanner to scan to that directory but it kept failing. I then went into WHS and browsed the FTP folder to the sub-folder I was trying to scan to and converted it to a virtual directory and then it all worked. I'm not sure this is the proper way of doing this as I'm kind of stumbling around in the dark here but it works for now.

Here are some screen caps of the Brother's configuration page. Unfortuantely, I am only allowed to create two custom file name profiles for the scanned pages. It comes pre-populated with several that I'll never use.

Brother%20Screen.JPG?w=8e787006

Brother%20Screen%202.JPG?w=6d731b3b

Here are some screen caps of the Brother's configuration page. Unfortuantely, I am only allowed to create two custom file name profiles for the scanned pages. It comes pre-populated with several that I'll never use.

Brother%20Screen.JPG?w=8e787006

Brother%20Screen%202.JPG?w=6d731b3b

Your images did not come out. But with respect to permissions, create a "group" and specify the group in the FTP settings. That worked for me. I am still trying to resolve other issue as I cannot gain access either. This sounds like a group project.

I created folders in the root FTP folder, then I set up the Brother scanner to scan to that directory but it kept failing. I then went into WHS and browsed the FTP folder to the sub-folder I was trying to scan to and converted it to a virtual directory and then it all worked. I'm not sure this is the proper way of doing this as I'm kind of stumbling around in the dark here but it works for now.

You can always fall back on the old adage: if it works, it must be the right way, or at least a good one :)