RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to limit bandwidth to each client.

eobie

Anyone know how to limit the bandwidth that my home server allows each client to pull. im asking because i may get a couple hdhomeruns but don't want large file transfers on the network affecting the tv. "wife acceptance factor" assistance is requested please. :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• eobie

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• fasthair

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried it to see it to see if there is indeed a problem? If you have your network setup properly, they shouldn't affect each other at all.

not yet. but sometimes my movie playback will stutter when transferring large files over. i don't think it has anything to do with setting it up correctly. everything is on gigabit and i saturate the connection when transferring large files (85-90 MB/s). i need to limit bandwidth so that my desktop will only transfer at say 500 Mbps and leave the other half for regular usage.

That's a more an issue with the harddrives than the network.
Your current scenario skips when the WHS is reading & writing at the same time, right?
When using the HD HomeRun, you'll be transferring from the HDHR-> HTPC and so any transfers to the WHS won't affect that unless you are transferring from the HTPC.

you may be right here. im not sure if my drives are being pushed to the max, or my network. i guess i'll just have to try it out. i hope not to piss the wife off.

regardless, i would still like to limit the bandwidth per client to prevent the skipping while reading/writing. if im only transferring at 500 Mbps I dont have to worry about saturating the drives.

I would try to set the NIC in Device Manager on the desktop to 10/100 setting in the Advnaced/Speed & Duplex tab. That would keep its bandwidth low.

fasthair

To answer the question, I don't know of an easy way other than to maybe restrict the WHS' NIC to 100mbps full duplex only. That'll slow things down.

well, i would like to keep the whs on full gigabit so i can serve multiple clients at once. 100mbps is too slow when it comes to transferring full blu-ray rips to the server. i think a managed switch may do the trick, but im trying to avoid that.

I agree with usacomp2k3, as long you are talking about wired network. The only caveat would be if you have a hub in your network.

what do you mean. i am talking about wired here. i have a 10/100 Mbps router, one 10/100 Mbps switch, and one 10/100/1000 switch. All the computers im talking about reside on the 1 Gb switch. I need to make it so I can transfer files and stream movies without stuttering. it is stuttering because the computer transferring large files is saturating either the network, or the hard disks. If I limit the transfer speed to say 500 Mbps on the computer transferring the large files, I should be good. that is what im trying to accomplish.