RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Z68 HDD config query

Renny

Hi folks, I wont go into the circumstances on this post but I need some advice on how to rectify an SSD performance issue.

Kit

Gigabyte S1155 GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard

60GB OCZ Agility 3 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD Drive (system)

2x 1TB Western Digital EALX 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue HDD (in raid 1)

The mobo has 4 SATA3 ports, 2 Intel and 2 Marvell.

This was a rush job, so I put the RAID 1 array on the intel chipset sata 3 ports and the SSD on the Marvell sata 3 port.

I am getting about 25secs of lag while post showsc "loading operating system" and the Windows experience index is showing 5.9 for "primary hard disk data transfer rate". it should be closer to 7.8. Also noticed that the SSD on the Marvell chipset is running in IDE mode; attempts to change this t o AHCI resulted in boot failure.

I will get the chance to get face to face with the PC in the next week and seek advice as to how best to configure the drives.

Q1.Is there some way to get decent performance our of the Marvell SATA3 ports for an OS drive?

Q2. Would the best thing to do be to reinstall the OS on the SSD on an Intel port under AHCI and then add the raid1 array to the marvell chipset?

Other suggestions welcome

Hi folks, I wont go into the circumstances on this post but I need some advice on how to rectify an SSD performance issue.

Kit

Gigabyte S1155 GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard

60GB OCZ Agility 3 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD Drive (system)

2x 1TB Western Digital EALX 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Blue HDD (in raid 1)

The mobo has 4 SATA3 ports, 2 Intel and 2 Marvell.

This was a rush job, so I put the RAID 1 array on the intel chipset sata 3 ports and the SSD on the Marvell sata 3 port.

I am getting about 25secs of lag while post showsc "loading operating system" and the Windows experience index is showing 5.9 for "primary hard disk data transfer rate". it should be closer to 7.8. Also noticed that the SSD on the Marvell chipset is running in IDE mode; attempts to change this t o AHCI resulted in boot failure.

I will get the chance to get face to face with the PC in the next week and seek advice as to how best to configure the drives.

Q1.Is there some way to get decent performance our of the Marvell SATA3 ports for an OS drive?

Q2. Would the best thing to do be to reinstall the OS on the SSD on an Intel port under AHCI and then add the raid1 array to the marvell chipset?

Other suggestions welcome

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X -UD3H-B3 MB that also has Intel and Marvell Sata ports on the board.

The Marvell ports in my experience have always been lacking on the performance front.

The Intel ports have always outperformed over the Marvell ports, especially in Raid situations.

I too would love to hear some tips on how to squeeze more performance out of that Marvell chipset.

I do think your best bet is to put the OS on the Intel port and switch the Raid 1 to the Marvell chipset.

Isn't there some trick that will allow you to switch from IDE to AHCI without having to reinstall? I really seem to recall something to that effect.

Set up you raid on your Sata 2 ports (or your marvel ports) and use the Intel ports for your ssd. That trick works very well for AHCI. I have done it a few times. I have an old post on this site that walks through that.