RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Crucial M4 SSDs /RR60 / Raid Stripes and headaches

vinylfreak

Maybe I missed something, so forgive me if this is a stupid question; but did you not say that your MB has (4) Sata3 ports? If you have (4) Sata3 ports on the MB why not set the RAID Ø array up on those ports, and connect the Platter Drive and the Optical to the Sata2 ports, not using the Host Bus Adapter card at all?

As to the delay in booting, I have an LSi Sata/SAS Raid Controller with 4 Intel x-25 drives, and it too has the delay as the Bios/Firmware comes up, it to me is just one os those things, it adds about 30 to 40 sec to the Bios / POST, but once its up its plenty fast. At work I have (2) Mushkin Sata3 drives on, the on-board Intel RAID controller in RAID Ø and there is pretty much no delay.

So unless I missed something, it seems that using the on-board Sata3 ports for your RAID Ø would be the answer to your problems, unless you can not use all four ports in the array?

Maybe I missed something, so forgive me if this is a stupid question; but did you not say that your MB has (4) Sata3 ports? If you have (4) Sata3 ports on the MB why not set the RAID Ø array up on those ports, and connect the Platter Drive and the Optical to the Sata2 ports, not using the Host Bus Adapter card at all?

Yeap it was a stupid question, after a little bit of research I see that the (4) Sata3 ports are on two sperate controllers, so wow I dont really see any way around the problem without throwing some $$$ at it.

Yeap it was a stupid question, after a little bit of research I see that the (4) Sata3 ports are on two sperate controllers, so wow I dont really see any way around the problem without throwing some $$$ at it.

Yes the Marvell Sata III port is pretty useless really.

I wish more MB makers would use the same chipset controllers across multiple ports, so that it would be easier to create Raid arrays larger than 2 drives.

How many of your motherboards allow you to disable INT13 via a DIP or jumper?

A motherboard doesn't need to be able to disable INT13. It presents you with the option to choose which HDD you want to boot from, including those on add-ins. Add-in cards do need the option because they can supercede the mobo's capabilities. Add-ins should add to a mobo's capabilities, never take away from them. My 2 cents.