RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

HP ProLiant N40L & WHS-2011 Shellshocker Deal

texasPI

I really want to get one of these to play around with. Do you have one Joe?

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikon

Erik

I hear you. These prices are very tempting, and I really, really like the form factor - so small and compact.

I just can't pull the trigger. My Acer H340 was an OK WHS but the CPU was just too slow, I also had to leave the cover off to keep it cool enough, it was so noisy I had to install SpeedFan to slow down the main fan to an acceptable level (before anyone jumps on me and says, "You slowed down the fan; no wonder it wasn't cool enough, I have to tell you I did extensive tests and found that running the fan at its higher default speed only made about a 2C difference in drive and CPU temps. The main issue was the placement of the fan, which blew almost no air over the CPU). Finally, the eSATA port on the back was not port-multiplier aware.

So my 2 cents is beware of these tiny WHS boxes. I'm not saying to not buy them; just don't have unrealistic expectations.

texasPI

I couldn't resist. I logged into my Newegg account at 2:59 PM (CST) and placed the order with seconds to spare.

Joe_Miner

Erik

I'm weak -- ordered one to play with!

SikSlayer

I see it has two PCI-E slots. Would it do well with a hardware RAID card? I'd rather that than some silly software RAID.

texasPI

I'm weak -- ordered one to play with!

:lol:

ikon

I'm wondering if these units are good candidates for SSD, just to help them out a bit. Seems like a long shot, but just wondering.

cskenney

I keep thinking I should buy one too but I need to see how they work out for the rest of you!

Joe_Miner

It arrived today -- looks pretty good -- additional RAM should arrive in a few days.