RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Think this is a good deal? Thinkpad t420s

jeffla

It's one month old, 3 year warranty for 600.00.

It's retail on Lenovo is about 1200-1400.00 I think.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EOGXH8G1OZXTYminGnwhZNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I'm looking of an i5 laptop, high resolution screen with a SSD. This seems to fit the bill. thoughts? I have an appointment to meet the guy at 4:30pm CST to take a look at it. He says he is selling it to pay for a new car transmission.

Well I bought it. I must say MY GOSH, it is built as nice as the Macbook Pro we demoed. It's amazingly fast, the high res screen lives up to my expectations and then some. I am amazed at the build quality compared to my $500.00 (at time of purchase) Compaq laptop and it is light years better than our $1000.00 (time of purchase)Toshiba laptop. I really like the keyboard but the touchpad is odd. I will miss my 9 key on the Compaq for use with Quicken. The guy spent a ton on this thing, 3 year warranty with onsite for 1 year. I kind of feel bad he was in such a dire financial situation. He was only asking $600.00 B/O but I though $600.00 seemed more than fare so I didn't make any offers.

I almost feel like it is too nice for me. I take care of my things, but it amazes me. It also weights half my current laptop.

Sorry to ramble, just excited, can't do much with it, waiting for it to create the recovery media so I can restore to new. Keep your fingers crossed for me that WHS doesn't give me any issues installing the connector. I don't know if I can deal with that again. There are no virgins left in the area to sacrifice.

Edited by jeffla

Well I bought it. I must say MY GOSH, it is built as nice as the Macbook Pro we demoed. It's amazingly fast, the high res screen lives up to my expectations and then some. I am amazed at the build quality compared to my $500.00 (at time of purchase) Compaq laptop and it is light years better than our $1000.00 (time of purchase)Toshiba laptop. I really like the keyboard but the touchpad is odd. I will miss my 9 key on the Compaq for use with Quicken. The guy spent a ton on this thing, 3 year warranty with onsite for 1 year. I kind of feel bad he was in such a dire financial situation. He was only asking $600.00 B/O but I though $600.00 seemed more than fare so I didn't make any offers.

I almost feel like it is too nice for me. I take care of my things, but it amazes me. It also weights half my current laptop.

Sorry to ramble, just excited, can't do much with it, waiting for it to create the recovery media so I can restore to new. Keep your fingers crossed for me that WHS doesn't give me any issues installing the connector. I don't know if I can deal with that again. There are no virgins left in the area to sacrifice.

First of all, yes, I think that was a great buy. Like timekills I would have bought it.

Secondly, you are comparing completely diffent classes of hardware. I am surprised lightning didn't strike you down when you compareda lenovo to a compaq. That is like a Yugo compared to a Bentley.

I see your point about comparing a Lenovo to a Compaq. However nice this laptop is, and it is really really nice. I could not pay 1400.00 for it. I couldn't pay 1400.00 for any computer, I'm just too cheap. I think my second favorite thing about this laptop is the keyboard. Never thought I would care about a keyboard, but this keyboard is super easy to type on.

I have a WHS 2011 backup question. So the initial backup I did on 2011 was with the Thinkpad freshly restored from the recovery disks. Then, following the popup, I reclaimed the 15gb of space the recovery partition took and gave it back to the c drive. When 2011 did its nightly backup, it says incomplete. It can't find the Q: recovery partition. What should I do so that I can keep the original backup with the thinkpad in factory new condition, and also continue backing up the thinkpad in it's new configuration?

My guess would be to archive the initial backup by removing the thinkpad from whs, then set it up again as a new computer. I see that I can also uncheck the q: drive from the backup options. Will that work ok? It doesn't matter that my c: drive grew by 15gb?

Edited by jeffla