RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Your ideas on HDDs

litow14

OK so i have been told to go with WDs for my new build.

WD20EARX $140 at newegg the cheapest 2TB i can find that does not have a ton od DOA reviews. So does any one have these?

I am surprised that you are being told there is a DOA problem with WD drives, nevertheless, I have two WD20EARX drives in my server, been going fine for 6 months.

I use them exclusively for client backups and server backup.

I use faster drives for media and data.

WD drives are crap. For me, they have the highest failure rate by far. I don't know if this model has problems but they have so many drives that don't work natively with WHS. You either have to align them or put a jumper on them, or something else to get them to work. Go with something that works out of the box.

PS HDD opinions are worthless, as we all have different opinions based on their own experiences. Go with what you have had the best experience with. I buy everything but WD.

OK so i have been told to go with WDs for my new build.

WD20EARX $140 at newegg the cheapest 2TB i can find that does not have a ton od DOA reviews. So does any one have these?

I have Four (4) WD20EARX's in my server -- they perform well, run cool, drink less power and are fast for greens. I've been pleased with their performance.

For old (Legacy?) OS's (like Business Server 2003, WHS-V1, XP) some adjustment would need to be done to optimize performance -- with a modern OS (Server 2008, WHS-2011, SBS-2011, Windows 7, 8, etc) the OS works great with the new Advanced Format drives.

BTW, I've also been very happy with two (2) WD30EZRX's I purchased last fall before the prices jumped. They also run cool and don't suck up much power.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Well, I'm kinda in the middle. I do use WD drives, but I no longer buy the greens. I haven't had to return any, but I do have to SpinRite the green drives more often than any other model I have, to maintain their functionality. What I buy now are WD RE-4 drives. They do cost more, but they're trouble free so it's worth it to me.

I also have 2 of these drives running for about 6 months with no issues. You should not be concerned since if you count all the issues vs drives sold, WD will be the best overall. Their RMA process (if you ever need it) is the best in the business and their drives have been very good for me. As I have stated in other posts, I have more than 30 running right now and have used in excess of a 100 in 2011. My total failures in the last 4-5 years I has been roughly 4 drives, 2 Seagates (of out of 5), 1 WD green drive which actually went out about 2 months ago (actually covered it on the podcast), and 1 Caviar Black. I realize that everyone has brand loyalty (I know I sure do), but for me I rely on my own history. I would consider Samsung drives but count me out for Seagates. Just my two cents.

Edited by no-control

I have Four (4) WD20EARX's in my server -- they perform well, run cool, drink less power and are fast for greens. I've been pleased with their performance.

For old (Legacy?) OS's (like Business Server 2003, WHS-V1, XP) some adjustment would need to be done to optimize performance -- with a modern OS (Server 2008, WHS-2011, SBS-2011, Windows 7, 8, etc) the OS works great with the new Advanced Format drives.

BTW, I've also been very happy with two (2) WD30EZRX's I purchased last fall before the prices jumped. They also run cool and don't suck up much power.

FWIW, I did a test on the speed of the WD20EARX in my server:

HP_SysDriveWD20EARX2011-11-23.jpg

The WD20EARX is a SATA 6GB/s but my HP-487 is only a SATA 3GB/s so the WD20EARX isn't at full potential in my Server but the performance still isn't bad.

FWIW, I did a test on the speed of the WD20EARX in my server:

HP_SysDriveWD20EARX2011-11-23.jpg

The WD20EARX is a SATA 6GB/s but my HP-487 is only a SATA 3GB/s so the WD20EARX isn't at full potential in my Server but the performance still isn't bad.

Looks like that must have been about four drives striped together. ;)

Guest no-control

I don't know if this model has problems but they have so many drives that don't work natively with WHS. You either have to align them or put a jumper on them, or something else to get them to work. Go with something that works out of the box.

Perhaps you should try drives that are a bit more vintage to match your legacy OS?

Perhaps you should try drives that are a bit more vintage to match your legacy OS?

Hmmm, is there something more current then W7 and s2008r2? I would think vintage software would work better with the WD drives anyway. Isn't it the new technologies that causes them problems?