RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Welcome to HomeServerShow.com Forums, Introduce yourself here.

Dave

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• jmwills

• Dave

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Howdy :-)   I'm Martin, just got myself on the Gen8 Microserver bandwagon.   Used to work in server/network infrastructure, so familiar with HP/Dell servers, blade/SAN, Cisco networking.   Nice

Hello Being disappointed by bugs on standard NAS products, i decided to build one based on OpenMediaVault linux deb. Found that Gen8 works fine for this purpose, i discovered this extraordin

Hello, I'm Jerry ... currently performing IT work for non-profit as "retirement" job.  They are a small organization using WHS 2011 and I must confess it is a new critter to me.  I realize this O/S ha

Posted Images

Welcome RMS. I like the doorknob reference! Thanks for listening to the show and for jumping in here.

Dave

Awesome show, guys ... I've been around the forums for a few "please help me!" threads that I most certainly owe you a hello on this one.

My name is Brett and I currently hail from Albuquerque, NM ... but I'm a displacement from the Corning, NY area (I always have to throw that in, sorry!). I'm an electrical engineer that mostly dabbles in software these days, both Windows GUIs (somewhat applicable here) and some more relatively low-level stuff (not necessarily so applicable). I had been following your show since roughly last fall, when my finance-degreed (!) brother shocked me by showing me his WHS (a MediaSmart EX490 I believe). I felt downright violated that he could possibly know about such things before me - again, at work I'm mostly a software guy. So I finally picked up the slack and bought one for myself (a 495) a few weeks ago.

I must admit that I am less excited about backing up my PCs than most guys here seem to be. What I care about most is what it means to (finally) have a constantly-on PC in the house. I've had services like Carbonite (boo, hiss, I know ...) running on my various PCs for a while, but I want to make this WHS, always-on box absolutely sing in many other dimensions. Once I can justify the expenditures to myself I'm going to head down the path of home automation stuff ... and am already starting to explore the possibility of thermostat/HVAC control.

Thanks again for the great site and podcast ... keep up the good work!

Hello,

I got a Zune HD in September and started listening to podcast on it during my 3 hr a day commute. I soon found the Home Server Show and started listening. I did not see a need for one in my environment at the time but being a geek I enjoyed listening and learning more about WHS. I have an SBS 2008 and ISA 2006 box and several PC

Howdy from Houston. I've been listening to the show for a while and thought I'd join the forum. I don't get much chance to read these types of sites these days so I get most my tips and news through the podcasts. I use an HP EX485 now with 2.7Gb of storage. I use a three-prong back up strategy with WHS imaging, SecondCopy file duplication to WHS and Carbonite (quick restore, quick recovery & offsite security). I don't have antivirus or any additional add-ons, but am waiting on HP to deliver my v3 software (est 3/22). I love that this thing just works and sits quietly under my desk serving media and backing up my files.

Greetings from Kansas City, MO. I started listening at show #3 and have everyone of them saved on my EX475. My son keeps talking about getting a home server for his house and I plan on making a present of the shows to him when he does. Because of you burning the IO SAFE in your back yard I now own a 1tb model. I use my MSS for backing up 4 desktops and 2 laptops and streaming to 2 xboxes, 1 mediasmart connect and 1 htpc. Wouldn't miss your podcasts and the four of you make a great team. Thanks for what you do.

usacomp2k3

That works too. It's how I used to do it before getting my Zune. You can still use software to do it if you want to, something like Zune or DoubleTwist.