RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

installing WHS 2011 on external HD

sebringsc

Trying to piece together a working windows home server and I'm having some trouble installing the OS on an external drive. Why an external drive you might ask? Well my OLD computer only used IDE drives and that was fine and dandy, my CPU just fried and I upgraded to an XP II with an ASUS MB but the new MB only has SATA connectors. I have one SATA drive (74gb raptor) and I have succssfully installed Windows 7 onto it but I want to put WHS 2011 on it as well. When I tried it won't work (presumably because it doesn't meet the 160GB requirements) so I was going to put it on my 160GB WD drive...problem is is that it is IDE. My MB recognizes it when in Bios but when the window installer loads, it does not find the drive.

Is there anyway to get this thing to boot from this HD or is this just a dream and I need to go spend more money on a new SATA 250GB drive to fulfill the WHS requirements?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this project has become a nightmare and around every corner I am spending more money (had to buy a new SATA DVD drive to get the windows DVD to load).

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Two requirements: SATA and 160 gig. The second can be gottne aorund but not the first one. You might try getting an IDE to SATA convertor but I odubt this is going to help. I have run WHS v1 as a VM from an external drive. It's a pain but can be done.

Thanks for the reply...I didn't see anywhere on the WHS 2011 requirements that the HD had to be SATA that's why I assumed that my old IDE drive would work fine...apparently that is not the case. If it must be SATA, what is the easiest way to install it on a smaller drive? I've seen website on the internet saying that you can write a new .ini file but does that really work? This is going to sit in my basemet and serve as a raid 5 server so I don't need much HD space for stuff.

Thanks