RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build Advice (for a friend)

texasPI

Hey guys, my buddy asked me for some help with a WHS. He runs a small landscaping business and has 4 PCs in his home office. He's not too technically inclined but he wants to centralize his business records and also wants central backups for his machines. He's decided on WHS 2011 because the cost is more pllatable than SBS etc. So now for the hardware question he asked me for help on.

He's trying to decide between these two pre-built servers:

HP ProLiant N40L

Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX100 S2

He's leaning toward the Fujitsu because he likes the Core i3 and it comes with 4GB of ram versus 2GB in the HP.

So what do you guys think? Which would you choose? He's definitely against building his own. Just wants a solution that he can drop drives into and go.

Edited by texasPI

Hey guys, my buddy asked me for some help with a WHS. He runs a small landscaping business and has 4 PCs in his home office. He's not too technically inclined but he wants to centralize his business records and also wants central backups for his machines. He's decided on WHS 2011 because the cost is more pllatable than SBS etc. So now for the hardware question he asked me for help on.

He's trying to decide between these two pre-built servers:

HP ProLiant N40L

Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX100 S2

He's leaning toward the Fujitsu because he likes the Core i3 and it comes with 4GB of ram versus 2GB in the HP.

So what do you guys think? Which would you choose? He's definitely against building his own. Just wants a solution that he can drop drives into and go.

Erik:

I may be wrong but reading between the lines I speculate that you will be the guy your friend turns to when he has a problem on the Server YOU recommended which casts an interesting perspective on this.

I would go with the HP. There are a number of people on this Forum who have purchased the Microservers including Diehard, Yoda, and DroboJim while there are many other forums with people who have jumped onto the microservers during recent sales and bundle promotions (I’ve seen it bundled with WHS-2011, SBSe-2011, and 2K8R2). So, you would have a vast knowledgebase to draw on if there are issues down the road. I can’t think of anyone I know who has purchased the Fujitsu Server.

There’s even a fair amount of video out there on the N40L – for example: a couple of Home Server Shows ago Dihard did a live tear down and reassemble of one of his two N40L’s – if you haven’t seen it yet it’s worth digging up.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

J

Edited by Joe_Miner

Erik:

I may be wrong but reading between the lines I speculate that you will be the guy your friend turns to when he has a problem on the Server YOU recommended which casts an interesting perspective on this.

I would go with the HP. There are a number of people on this Forum who have purchased the Microservers including Diehard, Yoda, and DroboJim while there are many other forums with people who have jumped onto the microservers during recent sales and bundle promotions (I’ve seen it bundled with WHS-2011, SBSe-2011, and 2K8R2). So, you would have a vast knowledgebase to draw on if there are issues down the road. I can’t think of anyone I know who has purchased the Fujitsu Server.

There’s even a fair amount of video out there on the N40L – for example: a couple of Home Server Shows ago Dihard did a live tear down and reassemble of one of his two N40L’s – if you haven’t seen it yet it’s worth digging up.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

J

You're quite right, I'm sure I'll be the first one he calls if he has problems. I forgot about the tear down, thanks for reminding me.

Given those choices - HP proliant

Is there anything else in the same vein as these you'd recommend?

The real question is what will he be doing with the server with reagrds to file types.

• Business documents (Word, Excel, PDF)
  • Backup of local PC's
  • Print Server

The choice would be HP, simply on repuatation. Yo ucan bump the RAM at a later date. Fujitsu as a WHS?

Like I've said before, I think it depends on the person purchasing. If they are merely asking for advice or do they build their own? If your friend leans more toward store bought PCs and laptops, then I would go with a pre-built without question. While I'm not an HP Fanboy, I certainly would consider a company that can provide support for your friend rather than calling you for support. (As in you build one for him)

There's nothing worse than being the "expert" on all things PC in which I am not. I love helping people, but there's no way I can know everything about everything and the BYOB podcast reminds me every week (along with the Homservershow and The Average Guy podcasts)

<SNIP> Fujitsu as a WHS?

My thoughts as well. My understanding is that the Fujitsu isn't pre-built. (Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of pre-built)

The real question is what will he be doing with the server with reagrds to file types.

• Business documents (Word, Excel, PDF)
  • Backup of local PC's
  • Print Server

The choice would be HP, simply on repuatation. Yo ucan bump the RAM at a later date. Fujitsu as a WHS?

He wants centralized backup of his machines and he deals mainly with Office files. I think he was hung up on the Fujitsu because it has a core i3 and all that it implies (in his mind) versus the AMD CPU in the HP.

Like I've said before, I think it depends on the person purchasing. If they are merely asking for advice or do they build their own? If your friend leans more toward store bought PCs and laptops, then I would go with a pre-built without question. While I'm not an HP Fanboy, I certainly would consider a company that can provide support for your friend rather than calling you for support. (As in you build one for him)

There's nothing worse than being the "expert" on all things PC in which I am not. I love helping people, but there's no way I can know everything about everything and the BYOB podcast reminds me every week (along with the Homservershow and The Average Guy podcasts)

My thoughts as well. My understanding is that the Fujitsu isn't pre-built. (Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of pre-built)

Well, the Fujitsu looks to be like the HP in that it comes with a hard drive and RAM installed plus it has a DVD where the HP does not. So conceivably, he can just pop in his WHS disc and get it up and running fairly quickly. I used the term pre-built (perhaps incorrectly) to distinguish from speccing out a system from scratch. My buddy does not have the inclination to chose all the components for his own machine.

Well that makes sense using your thoughts. I was under the impression that he would want an out of the box solution. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

BTW, I'm still considering doing the same thing as my mediasmartserver is approaching 3 years old .... or is it 4.