RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with choosing Motherboard!

JohnnyBeGood

Hi all,

Just spent 5+ hours reading here and trying to figure out with which brand/model of MB to go.

I have Asus P5B Deluxe with 4GB RAM, ATI x1950, C2DUO 6600 CPU that is my HTPC in our bedroom and for the test I installed

WHS2011 on 1TB HD and install went fine just it would not recognize onboard audio and Intel controller that made me read and get a feel for what would be best option and so that I don't have driver issues but didn't figure out anything :)

It seems like that people have more luck with Gigabyte as far as drivers.

I'm planning to buy an i3 CPU for sure and to build low power use box that I will keep in garage. It will be mostly used for back of pictures and movies and I'll be trying just for test maybe one IP security camera (possible on WHS2011?).

Edited by JohnnyBeGood

I've got three ASUS boards all within the last year and have had no driver issues. Of course, I go to the ASUS website to make sure the driver disc I have is the most current.

I am pretty sure you can't load sound drivers on a server.

By the way, nice avatar.

Interesting. I've had my WHS2011 prompt for audio drivers a few times but I've never bothered to try and load any, so I never found out first hand whether the server would accept them or not.

Guest no-control

WS2K8R2 uses the same drivers as Win7 so no issues loading sound card drivers on servers. WS2K3 and XP is a nother story...

As for mobos

I use ASUS for my high performance stuff and GigaByte for most of my other builds. No issues with either of them, other than I cannot stand the clown color pastels gigabyte uses.

Edited by no-control

I use ASUS for my high performance stuff and GigaByte for most of my other builds. No issues with either of them, other than I cannot stand the clown color pastels gigabyte uses.

Picking a mobo based on it's colour scheme; that's a new one on me :D

Guest no-control

Aesthetics can be very important, especially in a windowed/showcase build. If all else is equal I'm picking it based on color. Whichever one doesn't make me barf every time I open the case.

WS2K8R2 uses the same drivers as Win7 so no issues loading sound card drivers on servers. WS2K3 and XP is a nother story...

As for mobos

I've tried all versions win7, vista and win2003 every one gives me this error:

qabBS.png

kPozw.png

8QK8k.png