RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

hp ex470 stops responding

scottbakertemp

I have a HP ex470 with 2 gig and an upgraded processor. The past couple of days the thing has become unresponsive on the network. I can not RDP, see shares, or open the console. When I look at the server it looks like it's running normally with the fan still going and the lights still on. If I restart the thing using the power button everything works fine until an hour later or so.

This started when I upgraded the processor (AMD Athlon 64 LE1640 2400+ 1MB 45W Socket AM2 CPU) but it used to happen maybe once a month. Starting yesterday it's happening all the time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What are the system resources looking like? What other add-ins do you have running? What is your hard disk configuration and how full are they?

bay 1 - default 500 GB (healthy) / bay 2 - 1 TB (not added) / bay 4 - 1.5 TB (healthy)
There is 153 GB free

I have my movies, BDBB, WHS mobile, media connect configuration, dupe cleaner, file manager

CPU 30 degrees celsius
upper fan - 1418 rpm
lower fan - 1442 rpm

through an RDP session:
CPU usage averageing around 30%
800 MB of memory being used

You have 173 GB out of 2000, that's getting low. I personally think that WHS tends to bog down at < 15% free space, so that might be your issue. Do you have another drive you could throw in there at least temporarily? I assume the 1TB is for backups?

I do not see any heat issue errors in the system event viewer - I do so schannel and eventlog errors:

schannel - A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

eventlog - The previous system shutdown at 1:59:25 AM on 2/22/2010 was unexpected. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There are some things I can delete to free up some space.

I would think a heat issue as well but wouldn't the server shut itself down?