RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2TB limit in backups

eagle63

@jazzerjay, @jmwills

I assume you could add a USB 3.0 card to the box if you really wanted it. If I had a newer Drobo (such as the Drobo S) then that might matter to me, but the 2nd gen version that I have is USB 2.0. Of course, if I had the Drobo S then I might just do WHS 2011 and have the Drobo manage all the drives...

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks all. I don't mean to turn this into a v1 versus 2011 thing, but since I'm guessing most of you have experience with both is there any big reason why I should stick with 2011 on my new box? I get that v1 is older technology (server 2003), but it's still supported and I'm not looking for a solution for the next 10 years. Probably the next 1 - 3 years. Once Server 8 is out I may migrate to that. DE is pretty idiot-proof, and it provides (I think) the easiest way to deal with a failed drive. (just remove the old and put in a new one, no need to "restore" from a backup) Whichever way I go, I will be using Crashplan to backup everything to the cloud - so that's my failsafe. Thanks again, now just waiting for the UPS guy to arrive with my HP N40L!

You have discovered one of the many reasons some of us have stuck with v1. I am using v1 and crashplan and it works well.

@jazzerjay, @jmwills

I assume you could add a USB 3.0 card to the box if you really wanted it. If I had a newer Drobo (such as the Drobo S) then that might matter to me, but the 2nd gen version that I have is USB 2.0. Of course, if I had the Drobo S then I might just do WHS 2011 and have the Drobo manage all the drives...

I have 2 of the StarTech USB3 add-in cards. I haven't fully narrowed it down, but I'm very suspicious that the one in my WHS2011 is not performing at anything like typical USB3 speeds. I've had much better luck with the USB3 ports built onto motherboards.

I used a Gigabyte board this weekend (see Signature line for SBS Server) to connect to a 3.0 portable drive. Amazingly fast. I'm not a big fan of add-in cards if the capability is on the board to begin with.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes USB 3 is amazingly fast. I have found that when I connect USB 2 devices, the transfer rates are still faster using USB 3 even though the device doesn't have that technology. I notice this on my hp touchpad, Canon camera, and Canon video camera.