RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

50>32

awraynor

My wife and I sold our 50" DLP as it took up too much space in the living room.

We bought a nice and tidy entertainment center with a 32" Samsung LCD, oh the

pain. After a year we admitted the mistake and bought a new TV today. It's a Panasonic

Viera 50" Plasma on sale at HHGregg for $550. It's 720p, but it looks great and for

the price how can you can wrong. On the wall it looked better than most of the higher

res LED's anyway. Now if Denver could just score against New England, ugh!

pcdoc

Congrats! Great price. In one room I am still running a 52" 720P plasma and I still love it. It is a Sony and I bought it about 7 years ago when it was on sale for $5500 so you should feel great about your purchase. I also bought the Panasonic 50" about 3 years ago for my daughter and she loves it. If configured correctly and of course depending on the source, a 720P plasma is very sharp and easy on the eyes. Good luck with it.

c0op3r

My wife and I sold our 50" DLP as it took up too much space in the living room.

We bought a nice and tidy entertainment center with a 32" Samsung LCD, oh the

pain. After a year we admitted the mistake and bought a new TV today. It's a Panasonic

Viera 50" Plasma on sale at HHGregg for $550. It's 720p, but it looks great and for

the price how can you can wrong. On the wall it looked better than most of the higher

res LED's anyway. Now if Denver could just score against New England, ugh!

I was basically the opposite of you, I was using a 37" LCD in the living room waiting on price to get to something I was willing to spend, well right after christmas, CompUSA put an LG Plasma on sale for 999.99$ its a 60" So I now have a monster in my Living Room, eventually I will get around to hanging the 37 in the Bedroom.

Price for Panels now is outstanding, I bought my first 42 Panasonic Plasma years (and Years ago) for 7500.oo$, this 60" I have now was something of a dream at that time!

Oh a bit of follow up HHGreg had my same model on sale for something like 30.oo less the week before but I missed it. They do run some great deals!

Also I got a new Laptop right after Christmas, Got an HP w/ a SandyBridge i7, it came with a 500Gb 7200RPM which promptly got dumped for a 128Gb SSD SataII, according to the Chipset specs, the Laptop should support SataIII once that is verified I am thinking of going to a 256 SataIII Drive.

awraynor

The TV people are as bad as computer people by waging the spec war. We couldn't be any

happier with this 720p TV.

ikon

About a year and a half ago we got a Sony Bravia 60". It's hanging from a corner shelf I built, so it sits across that corner. It kinda floats there. We get lots of admiring comments from family and visitors.

awraynor

The Viera has DLNA, Facebook, CinenaNow, Netflix, and more built in. Has anyone had any luck

with software on the server to allow DLNA access from the TV to the server? I have a Zino HTPC,

but the kids won't keep their hands off of it. I want to try to use the built in abilities. I have seen posts

where Servio and Mezzmo have been used successfully. I happen to have a copy of Mezzmo and Nero

MediaHome, any other success stories.

Edited by awraynor

ikon

I have used the Bravia's menu system to access my old WHSv1. It was an Acer H340. It worked, but I found the menu system a little cumbersome so, since my Win7 HTPC went into service, I've used it to access files and stream video, I don't really use the TV's inbuilt features any more.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The biggest issue is that the tv's have very specific/limited formats it supports so it isn't very good. Your best option is to use play to in W7. That way the computer handles the codec requirements and sends the video to the tv so it can play anything your computer can play.

awraynor

I tried Mezzmo and NeroMedia Home, they didn't work well. The free Serviio addin is scanning

my collection and is playing the movies well. I will miss the MyMovies interface, but my 1 and

3 year old for the time being would never leave the PC alone while it is in their reach. A explorer

type interface is better than no movies at all.