RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

wifi card losing connection

jeffla

My personal laptop a Compaq CQ60-214dx loses it's connecton to our router about once a day. Nothing I try to do to fix it works except a reboot of Windows 7 (64). Once the computer reboots, it works again for hours if not a day or so. What happens when it dies is the normal 5 bar signal indicator changes to the connected with limited access icon. It claims to be connected to our router, but in fact I it is not. It is not getting an ip address. If I attempt to connect to a neighbors unsecured wifi network it fails to connect (I have thier permission to try). Once I reboot, it works 100%.

I bought a used replacement card Atheros ar5007 off ebay and replaced my current card. The problem persists. I've rolled back drivers and updated drivers with no change in the symptoms.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. During the times my laptop loses it connection, our 2 other wifi enabled computers stay connected to the router and the internet. We are also able to turn the wifi on on our iphones and they work. So it seems just isolated the my laptop.

A few years ago a friend of mine had an HP DV6 laptop that the first symptom of a dieing motherboard (bad solder joint in cpu) was the wifi card dieing. Could this be my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ordered a usb wifi card off amazon to use incase I am unable to fix this.

Jeff

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• jmwills

• jeffla

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Changed that setting last night with no change. This problem surfaced about a week ago. This laptop never gave me any problems in 2+ years.

My router is a wrt54gl running the latest version of tomato firmware. As for the wifi card, it appears to be using the newest drivers.

Could the router be at fault while still allowing 2 other wifi computers connect and function correctly while messing up on my laptop?

What does a reboot do that fixes the issue? But disabling and reenableing the wifi card won't fix the issue. Just a reboot.

I appreciate your help

Jeff

Edited by jeffla

That is being caused by those rouge signals either being remembered by you and stronger that your personal connection. I think it you remove the "connect automatcially" to those conenctions this will go away.

I think there was a misunderstanding. I am unable to connect to any wifi network when this issue occurs. Sometimes it (windows) also displays an error when I ask it to diagnoise the issue saying something about the hardware has been removed. I must resintall the hardware to fix the issue. If I open device manager, the network wifi card is still listed as working properly. But, a reboot makes it all better. Seeing as this is a built in wifi card, I don't see how it's being removed, yet is still listed as enabled and working in the device manager.

Any ideas? A sledge hammer is an acceptable answer.

A sledge is too messy. A B240 is much more accpetable.

You "remove/uninstall" the card by removing it from within the device manager. Beginning to sound more and more like a bad driver,

My personal laptop a Compaq CQ60-214dx loses it's connecton to our router about once a day. Nothing I try to do to fix it works except a reboot of Windows 7 (64). Once the computer reboots, it works again for hours if not a day or so. What happens when it dies is the normal 5 bar signal indicator changes to the connected with limited access icon. It claims to be connected to our router, but in fact I it is not. It is not getting an ip address. If I attempt to connect to a neighbors unsecured wifi network it fails to connect (I have thier permission to try). Once I reboot, it works 100%.

I bought a used replacement card Atheros ar5007 off ebay and replaced my current card. The problem persists. I've rolled back drivers and updated drivers with no change in the symptoms.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. During the times my laptop loses it connection, our 2 other wifi enabled computers stay connected to the router and the internet. We are also able to turn the wifi on on our iphones and they work. So it seems just isolated the my laptop.

A few years ago a friend of mine had an HP DV6 laptop that the first symptom of a dieing motherboard (bad solder joint in cpu) was the wifi card dieing. Could this be my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ordered a usb wifi card off amazon to use incase I am unable to fix this.

Jeff

Do you have another router you can try? I put my money on the router.