RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice on new WHS Build

Drexlock

I'm planning on retiring my current server setup and build a new WHS2011 box. Right now Im running an AMD1090T with 8 Gigs of ram and a 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML Raid Card (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816116043). Since this box has been a bit of a power hog and makes one heck of a racket I was planning on building a new, signicicantly lower power system.

At the moment Im planning on basing my new system on a SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813182233) migrating the Raid card and potentially the case along from my current build. The one thing that concerns me is that in addition to just stock WHS2011 I also run Plex for transcoding and streaming to my Droid X, Roku(s) and Google TV. I really dont have any HD content to speak of (mostly all DVD Rips) but wasnt sure if the Atom D510 Processor (http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-1_66-GHz) that is part of the Supermicro board would be up to transcoding (I dont wanna pigeon hole myself into needing to build yet another system when I start getting HD Content).

I've seen a lot of people going back and forth between Atom and i3. Claiming one is better then the other but neither clearly being superior. Buying a new board, ram and intel CPU can add up quickly and I also wanna keep my running cost down as low as possible. Plus the Fanless design of the supermicro board is really attractive considering this is kept in my bedroom closet at the moment.

Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated :)

Update: I realized after that fact that I wasnt in the WHS Build Forum, could a helpful Admin please help me move it to where it really belongs. Thank you :)

Edited by Drexlock

If all you were going to do was stream content, the Atom would be just fine. The i3 will be better suited for your other needs.

I would not use an atom for streaming. Before long you will probably have HD and could see it start choking. Shure, an atom may work for what you are describing but not for much more. I would go with an i3 at a minimum.

Stay away from the atom and use the 2100. The power difference is about 10 watts but the computing power is significant.

I would not use any atom for transcoding. If you do a little, an i3 might suffice. If you do a lot of it, I would go with an i5, or even an i7.

At the moment Im planning on basing my new system on a SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813182233) migrating the Raid card and potentially the case along from my current build. The one thing that concerns me is that in addition to just stock WHS2011 I also run Plex for transcoding and streaming to my Droid X, Roku(s) and Google TV. I really dont have any HD content to speak of (mostly all DVD Rips) but wasnt sure if the Atom D510 Processor (http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-1_66-GHz) that is part of the Supermicro board would be up to transcoding (I dont wanna pigeon hole myself into needing to build yet another system when I start getting HD Content).

I've seen a lot of people going back and forth between Atom and i3. Claiming one is better then the other but neither clearly being superior. Buying a new board, ram and intel CPU can add up quickly and I also wanna keep my running cost down as low as possible. Plus the Fanless design of the supermicro board is really attractive considering this is kept in my bedroom closet at the moment.

Any advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated :)

IMHO, I would look at a Z68 with the 1155 socket to future proof myself. The i3-2100 is going to have a lot of power and you will see many on this board with WHS-2011's powered by 1st or 2nd Gen i3's. Compare the CPU's at http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=110 to see what I mean. And be sure to compare the i3-2100 to the 510 -- you'll see a HUGE performance difference -- yet the 2nd gen i3's are pretty low power consumers.

Any board you consider be sure to go to the manufacture site and download their manual -- as a bit of additional future proofing I'd look at boards and companies to see their commitment to upgrading their BIOS to support the Ivy Bridge when it become available to keep you options open if you decide to repurpose the machine down the road or you want the greater horsepower at lower power consumption of the Ivy Bridge.

Just my thoughts anyway -- hope it helps.

Thank you everyone for all the info. I think I'm going to look at a core i5 over the i3 which may be a bit less energy efficient but with the number of people in our house (myself, gf and another couple) all with Android/iPhones and multiple Google Tvs and Roku boxes pulling media via Plex from our WHs I’ll take the hit in energy consumption over the headaches of multiple transcoded streams going on at once choking my processor :)

Thank you everyone for all the info. I think I'm going to look at a core i5 over the i3 which may be a bit less energy efficient but with the number of people in our house (myself, gf and another couple) all with Android/iPhones and multiple Google Tvs and Roku boxes pulling media via Plex from our WHs I’ll take the hit in energy consumption over the headaches of multiple transcoded streams going on at once choking my processor :)

Post pics or it didn't happen ;)