countryfarmer23

What's going on with my backups?

countryfarmer23    0
countryfarmer23

I have 242 GB of files set to backup. I am backing up both the server and the shared folders using the built-in server backup. Yet on the drive they are backed up to only 236 GB are used. Why is this? Are they compressed, that would seem kind of odd?

My concern is that not all files are being backed up because of the difference in actual file size.

Also, is there anyway to view the backed up files on the backup HD? Does WHS 2011 format this drive so it can only be used with WHS 2011?

Thanks

jmwills    283
jmwills

After the first full (initial) backup. Only changed data files would be there but the OS files should remain as one. The data files are in a flat file format so yes you can view them.

countryfarmer23    0
countryfarmer23

In my initial backup the selected files totalled 242 GB but only 236 GB are listed in the backup properties. This doesn't make sense.

jmwills    283
jmwills

This could be nothing more than the MBR, a protected partition, etc. Can you pinpoint which folders are being skipped?

countryfarmer23    0
countryfarmer23

When I go to "computer" to access the external hard drive it is not shown. It is shown in the Dashboard as a backup device though. Why would it be missing 6GB of data? Is there another way to view the files?

Thanks

jmwills    283
jmwills

You're seeing the difference of space used on the darive versus what WHS needs to run a backup. I've not really paid any attention to this but I owuld say it is a hidden partition created by the install process.

ikon    420
ikon

If it's a real concern to you (and it sounds like it is), the most certain way to verify the backup is to restore it to a spare drive and see if everything is there. In the end, isn't that what counts - that you get everything back?

countryfarmer23    0
countryfarmer23

Here's the thing. I want to know why there is a 6GB difference. My backup size should be the same size as the files I back up. For example: Windows Backup. Backup Exec

Just trying to be logical. I can't find anything anywhere that states why there would be this difference.

Edited by countryfarmer23

ikon    420
ikon

I was going by your statement, "My concern is that not all files are being backed up "

Can I ask how knowledgeable you are about disk storage?