RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raid Array in HTPC or S2008R2

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I bout the RR 2720 to build an array or two for my media; primarily my tv shows, movies, and home video's. Once hard drives are cheaper I plan to buy some to create a 6 to 9 or 10 TB array. I can't decide if I want the array in my HTPC or my server (S2008R2). If you are curious about the specs, each machine is in my signature.

What is the advantage of having it in one over the other?

What would you do?

Currently I only have one HTPC. Not sure if I will ever add another. For now I use the one HTPC and two Xbox's as extenders.

The server would be physically bigger allowing for more expansion. The vast majority of HTPC's being built here are very small. I would not want a sever close to the TV and visible.

I would also go with server. I a 10T RAID 5 on my server 2008 and it works well. I just do not see it on an HTPC.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The server would be physically bigger allowing for more expansion. The vast majority of HTPC's being built here are very small. I would not want a sever close to the TV and visible.

Yes that case is much larger. It is over 24" tall. I think it supports about 9 internal 3.5" drives. ]

I think you guys have sold me on putting it in the server. I will have to research how to share it properly and easily.