RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to the forum and new to servers: How to stream MKV's over network?

emmdotenn

Hey everyone,

I would like to start off by giving you a background about myself. I've been a gadget addict pretty much since my early teens (I'm 25 now), and have been into building my own computers since. Recently, I have ventured into building my own server and have done so with WHS 2011.

So here is the setup I have right now.

1. Server: with WHS 2011 installed.

4GB of RAM

AMD A4+

hard drives containing all my media.

I'll also be doing sickbeard/sabnzbd on this computer.

2. PS3 connected to TV which effectively acts as my HTPC (connected to network via WIFI)

3. Gaming Rig with Windows 7 Professional installed (probably use XBMC to watch TV shows and Movies (Also connected via WIFI)

4. Other Computers in the house that family uses (a desktop and a Mac Book Pro) both with Windows 7 Home Premium on them.

So far I have tried just going through the network and opening up the MKV files, but they have been lagging a lot and not really smooth at all.

Objective: I want to be able to be able to watch everything I have on the server via any of the above devices through the network but I'm just not sure what is the best way to do it. It seems based on my research that streaming via a UPnP server is the best way to go about this, and I have installed PS3 Media Server on my server to start it up, but how do I get XBMC to detect the server?

Alternatively. how do you guys go about doing this? Hopefully you can help me out with this since I'm still quite a newb at the starting up a server business. Your help is much appreciated!

XBMC will see shares like any other program. IMO, it is easier to use than WMC. The client rendering the content (if Win7) will have to have the proper Codec in order to play .MKV files.

I use Media Player Codec Pack and have no issues at all. I think the MAC's can play these file types but maybe someone else can verify that.

I use Media Player Codec Pack and have no issues at all. I think the MAC's can play these file types but maybe someone else can verify that.

Excellent. Media Player Codec Pack will play MKV's(?). I wanted to try the one at haali.su but it seems to be consistently down, so I will look for this one (unless you have a link right at hand).

Thanks everyone! Yeah I got everything working so far using PS3 Media server for the ps3 and shared folders via XBMC. But issue is there's a buffering issue on my gaming rig :( any insight on that?

Unfortunately my server/router/modem are all downstairs and my gaming rig is upstairs in my room (configuration of the house limits where I can put my modem, or else Modem would definitely be in my room).

Let me work on putting it in a shared folder on my server so you can grab a copy. I'll PM you.

Thanks so much for the file. As soon as I get a chance, I'll install it and see what happens. Got my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately my server/router/modem are all downstairs and my gaming rig is upstairs in my room (configuration of the house limits where I can put my modem, or else Modem would definitely be in my room).

Is it your house? If so, there is always a way to run cable. I did it recently in my house. I used the 4" waste pipe stack as a chase for the cables from the basement to the 2nd floor.