RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Server for WHS 2011

mosh00

Good morning everyone.

I have been toying with the idea of moving to WHS 2011 from WHS v1 (have the HP EX 495 MediaSmart server). I see that Newegg has a deal on the HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Tower with a Core i3. Even includes a copy of WHS 2011. Would that make a good server?? Seems like a decent price. Being that this is true server, would I run into issues with the types of HDD’s I could use? I would want to be able to use “off the shelf” consumer grade 2 TB drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107050&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL010612&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL010612-_-EMC-010612-Index-_-ServerSystems-_-59107050-L06B

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Mike

The server should run consumer drives fine. My only concern would be the HP spec sheet says there 4 internal bays with a 8 TB storage limit. This could be someone multiplying 4 X 2 because that was the largest drive at the time the spec was written or it might be a real limit. When I got my HP Microserver it spec'd a 8 TB maximum but handles 3 TB drives fine to go above the 8TB so that might be the case here.

As for whether it would make a good server depends on what you want to do. I get by fine with a slower CPU but I don't use a lot of add-ins, and just use it for backups and file sharing, video or music streaming of already encoded files so no on the fly transcoding. Expand-ability might be limited or expensive. No USB 3 included and on-board RAID is limited to 0/1/10 if that's a concern

It uses ECC memory which is more expensive should you decide to expand.

Power consumption would be my concern. I think you can build a better one for the same/less money.

I agree with osquest's comment about CPU power. Personally, I always find I end up trying to get my servers to do other things and then find out my CPU's are underpowered. I would carefully consider what you might want to do with the server.

I also find the requirement for ECC RAM a bit much for a home server.

Good morning everyone.

I have been toying with the idea of moving to WHS 2011 from WHS v1 (have the HP EX 495 MediaSmart server). I see that Newegg has a deal on the HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Tower with a Core i3. Even includes a copy of WHS 2011. Would that make a good server?? Seems like a decent price. Being that this is true server, would I run into issues with the types of HDD’s I could use? I would want to be able to use “off the shelf” consumer grade 2 TB drives.

http://www.newegg.co..._-59107050-L06B

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Mike

I'm not familiar with this particular Server so would suggest you go to the Manufacture Web site and download the product manual.

One thing I do find interesting is that the CPU is a i3-2120 -- from what I read & seen the 2nd generation i3's are roughly similar to the 1st gen i5's which would be a pretty powerful platform for a basic server -- you can check out some of the comparisons at http://www.anandtech...duct/144?vs=289

There are a number of people here who have some pretty intense home servers and virtual servers powered by 1st and 2nd gen i3's. A lot really depends on what if anything you want to do beyond regular server functions.

Coming from the Dual-core in the EX-495 the i3-2120 is going to be really fast.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Thanks for the guidance everyone. I am taking the advice of some of you and going to build one from scratch. I have all the components identified and it is very similar to the build that was reviewed by Damian at MediaSmartServer.net and then mentioned in the HSS 168 podcast. It is using a Lian Li case.