RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Did I miss the i5-2500 give away?

Guest no-control

Guest no-control

Seems like everyone under the sun has opted to run low CPU demand setups (WHS/HTPC) with o5-2500's. Was Intel giving these away over the holidays?

I'm a bit baffled looking at some of the hardware choices made in the system builds section lately. You guys do listen to the show right?

Just wondering....

Seems like everyone under the sun has opted to run low CPU demand setups (WHS/HTPC) with o5-2500's. Was Intel giving these away over the holidays?

I'm a bit baffled looking at some of the hardware choices made in the system builds section lately. You guys do listen to the show right?

Just wondering....

Well, sometimes the public may feel the "experts" are just wrong.

I'm baffled why anyone needs TWO 6970s. :)

I like my 2500 in my VM machine, agree it would be overkill in an HTPC, but given the power use why is it a worse choice than the i3 530 I have other than initial cost. You could argue that since it can transcode and do commercial searching faster than my i3 530 that putting the i5 2500 in my HTPC would actually save me energy and thus money...

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with getting a little extra power under the hood if you can afford it. In fact, it makes perfect sense to see so much "overkill" in these forums given that we're all geeks. For the most part, we all have that urge to build the biggest, baddest system we can even if we don't need it. Yes, there are some that are more about using the right tool for the right job, but I think most of us prefer the power drill over the screwdriver approach.